Doopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BT

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Couple of other updates,..

The motor is still hanging on the cherry picker, I am redoing the drivers side motor mount, should be done tomorrow and I can put the motor back in by the weekend..

I had to give the motor a little tilt to clear the windshield wiper motor, however wit the new drivers side motor mount it should sit under it, and be able to sit straight in the engine compartment.

You must be registered for see images

Plenty of room with the motor hanging to get the slave cylinder and motor mount done.

While the motor was in I had to trim the inner fender around the oil filter so it can be removed easily:

The new Slave Cylnder is installed, also had to replace the line from the master.

Also got rid of the extra wiring in the engine compartment, just trying to stay busy on this project while waiting to get the motor dropped back in.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
You better hustle Darrin! Crazy Michigan!

Hustlen I AM!

Quick Update:

The Slave Cylinder is in along with a new line to the master, I decided to redo the drivers side motor mount, very easy to do it just took a couple of days to get it back from my buddy, and get it welded in.

The Motor is back in, and I can reach in, turn the key and start it up. It is all hooked up save for the radiator. That should happen tomorrow.

Couple of pics:

Drivers side Motor Mount and Plate sitting in place:

Drivers side motor mount plate Welded in place: Not pretty but functional!

The Reason for the motor plate is to get the motor sitting lower in the engine bay and have more clearance between the Aftercooler and the Wiper Motor.

here is the Before pic:

Here is the After Pic:

Mission Accomplished,

More to come tomorrow!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Now that I have a few minutes I want to cover the motor mount issue.

Most of the research that I did before doing this swap was that the 3006cyl motor stands would work and is a bolt in for the Cummins 4bt. I really didn't have to pay a lot of attention to it since my 4bt was already coming out of a Ford Truck so I figured that whatever I needed was already there.

Here is the sticky showing the motor 300 6cyl motor stands compared to the others:
Motor Stands
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showt...ibility-Issue&highlight=ford+motor+stands+300

The Donor truck had a motor stand on the drivers side crossmember and a plate for the passenger side, so that is what I used at first. I did make an attempt to get a passenger side stand from a couple of sources just in case I needed it but did not get one.

However, with those motor stands, the motor does sit pretty high, and was an interference problem for the Aftercooler, to Wiper motor.

So at this point, there are 3 members including myself that have been through this, or installed motor plates with their builds

The first one is this one: ragobgar 1985 F150 4bt swap.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?17444-85-f150-4bt&highlight=show+motor+mounts

The second one is camccardell with his 1995 F150 4bt swap.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showt...ibility-Issue&highlight=ford+motor+stands+300

So the bottom line is that I hope this helps other builders in the future that the 300 6cyl stands aren't needed and a simple plate welded to the frame works great, and lets the motor sit down in the engine compartment with no clearance issues.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Update for tonight,

Got the radiator, installed, had to make some brackets for the fan shroud as well. Turned out to fit pretty well. Started on the Radiator Hoses, Ill need some parts for those. I hope to be dumping Antifreeze in it tomorrow and getting it warmed up.

Only wire not hooked up yet is for the factory oil pressure gauge, still need a connector for that one.

Seems like I did some other stuff tonight also, just cant think of it right now. Headed home,..

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Update for tonight,

Got the radiator, installed, had to make some brackets for the fan shroud as well. Turned out to fit pretty well. Started on the Radiator Hoses, Ill need some parts for those. I hope to be dumping Antifreeze in it tomorrow and getting it warmed up.

Only wire not hooked up yet is for the factory oil pressure gauge, still need a connector for that one.

Seems like I did some other stuff tonight also, just cant think of it right now. Headed home,..

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Good progress today,

Radiator Hoses, First I bought a bottom hose for an 88 F250 with a 5.0 so I can have the correct angle off of the radiator, and then would have to cut it to go to the other side of the 4bt.

I had some other misc hoses laying around the shop to try as well. So combined with those, and a Down pipe form a VW Rabbit 1.6 NA Diesel, I was able to build the bottom hose without use of the new one:

So what did I do with the new Bottom Hose,..? I did one cut on it, and it fit perfectly on the Top! ;Sweet

Now on to the Air Filter,..I headed out to my local Semi Junk Yard to find a 4" Exhaust or Intercooler Elbow.

For $20.00 I picked this up:

Measured it and cut it,...twice,..cleaned it up, and it fit:

Filled the Radiator tonight, well get it fired up and warmed up tomorrow!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I was able to work on it for a wile yesterday morning, then had a wedding to go to that shot the rest of the day.

Got it running off the key, got the factory and aftermarket gauges working, cpt for the Oil Temp, and the Ford Tac. I need a sender for the oil, temp, and need a Dakota Digital Box for the tac. Finished all of the wiring under the hood and the dash.

I filled up the power steering to find out that the power steering cooler is leaking at the steering box, Got a new one today and will get it installed tomorrow. It was kinda rusty and I am sure that the line got kicked ac couple of times during the motor install.

Other than that it seems to be holding all of its fluid.

Things that I need to do to get it on the road:

Power Steering Cooler
Bleed the Clutch
Replace the front Brake Line
Install the rest of the Exhaust.
Might need some rear brake work.

Hope to have it on the road by the weekend...

Pics later

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darrin ur projects on droopy and big Ed. Really inspire me to get off my **** and work on my truck. Especially with what you've done to big Ed.
Keep up the good work!!:D

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
lovin it! can't wait for a video of it plowing snow!

I'm ok for the snow to hold off for a while yet,.:sly But yea a video will be made. I think this thing is just gonna chug along like a little tractor! ;Sweet

Darrin ur projects on droopy and big Ed. Really inspire me to get off my **** and work on my truck. Especially with what you've done to big Ed.
Keep up the good work!!

Thanks, I really appreciate it! Sometimes I feel like I get in over my head or it takes way too long to get these done but it is worth it in the end..Big Ed STILL makes me giggle like a little school girl whenever I drive it,.

Here is the now oil cooler to be installed hopefully today if Customers leave me alone for a while:

The Line broke right where it goes into the steering box, When I start it up it pees out and hits the firewall,..:eek: