Doopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BT

Danoflapper

Reaction score
Good Work Darrin! I've really been wanting to buy a 6bt to redo over the winter. But I think I'll see if I can make it through the winter without any vehicular failures before I drain my savings. Looks like fun!

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
a 4BT in Texas. Not mine, though I wish it were! Too bad he didn't post pics.

http://sanangelo.craigslist.org/pts/2650935543.html

4bt cummins - $1500 (Eldorado)
Date: 2011-10-15, 9:10AM CDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]
4bt out of chevy van. with 4 speed tranny. call for more info. 325-450-three nine nine eight. no emails please.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2650935543

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Is it just me or do the four poppers go for more, than their 6-cyl big brothers?

It is not just you, They usually bring more money than the 6bangers. Partly because there are so many more 6bt's on the road than the 4bts.

As far as a 4bt taking the place of a 350,...If you can find a c30 step van with a 4bt, it will have a Chevy adapter plate to bolt to a Chevy tranny.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
While I am waiting on some parts for the Injection Pump, I decided to work on the fuel system:

I removed the front tank, and the front filler neck and replaced them with a nicer Diesel tank that I had in stock, and a diesel fill neck. While I am at it I decided to to the Filler Neck Mod as well.

New Tank ready to go in:

You must be registered for see images

Modified the front sender, removed the electric pump, replaced it with submersible Fuel line (that craps expensive!) and reinstalled the filter sock on the bottom.

New Fuel Lines, and modified Air Vent:

Here is the fill neck hogged out so I can use the trucker pumps for faster fillups.

I installed 2 barbs, The top one is for the new tank Vent..The rear tank will keep the in tank fuel pump I will use it as a transfer tank for the front so the lower one will be for the rear tank to transfer to the front.

I got all new steel brake line to use for fuel line from the rubber lines form the tank to the motor.

Hope to have the fuel lines and tank installed today.

Danoflapper

Reaction score
It is not just you, They usually bring more money than the 6bangers. Partly because there are so many more 6bt's on the road than the 4bts.

As far as a 4bt taking the place of a 350,...If you can find a c30 step van with a 4bt, it will have a Chevy adapter plate to bolt to a Chevy tranny.

That's what I figured :puke:

And I got over the diesel plans. I've got some ideas, just gotta see if I'm man enough to execute them. :sly

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Got the Fuel tank installed, and the rear tank is plumbed into the filler neck of the front tank for to be used as a transfer tank.
The fuel lines are run to the front of the truck ready to be hooked up:

Had to remove the catyletic converter heat shield from the bottom of the cab and make room for the downpipe, Should fit now,...

Today is Gauges Day, I would like to get them all installed and ready to hook up when I drop in the motor.

The Pillar Pod will be Oil Pressure, Water Temp and Volts:

The Dash Pod will be Boost, EGT, and Oil Temp. Same setup as Big Ed, but with engine oil temp instead of Auto Trans Temp:

Waiting for Napa to deliver the Duplicolor Blue vinyl paint for the pods,...l:popcorn

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Updates,

I had a leaky return line that runs to the pump, I had to take it off and found a hole in it. Think I bent it too far messing with the pump and it was weak anyway. Went to Cummins and have a new one coming in on Monday.

New starter bolts, redo the starter holes with new heli coils so that is done, starter is reinstalled. also got the band clamp for the downpipe.

Thats it for updates, next progress will be on Tuesday.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Lookin good there goat smuggler!!!;Sweet
Man I almost forgot where I got that cap from.
Another product sponsored by D&L Auto.:D

wmoguy

Reaction score
lookin GREAT Darrin!

I'm excited to see this project in it's final state. That lil 4bt is a great engine, and can be hopped up cheaply, and make about as much power as our IDI's do. I'd love to do a 4bt swap in a Tahoe/Yukon for the wife. too many projects these days tho

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online