Does this look healthy?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Personally I would not condemn the engine. I don't know the history on the engine but, I think You have air in the fuel lines, have You installed new glow plugs? What brand? Also, I would run some auto RX in the oil, change the fuel injectors and then see how it behaves then if necessary get the IP rebuilt.

Also, have You done anything with the IP like advance/retard the timing?

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
no different that mine does when she cranks in the morning. of course shes old to. can try putting some brake fluid in the oil to soften the valve seats up and it might help. or some restore. but shes just getting old. I mean if you have that many miles on you you are gonna have some leaks and burn stuff to. Mine burns oil pretty bad when i use rotella, not so much smoke when I use castrol nor burn as much. drive her till she goes thats all i can say.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't smell the exhaust very well from the video, but that could easily be fuel smoke and not oil. Does it have much blowby?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Ya put a little effort into it and you might have yourself a good engine. They are tough ol brutes!! Yeah I think its fuel smoke too but either way; don't run away from it if its burning a bit of oil, they all do. Im actually afraid of mine because it DOESN"T burn any....I have never seen a 6.9 that didn't use some.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My blackie sounded and smoked like that when I brought it home. I've done nothing but the newbie stuff on it and it's been behaving. Although the air intrusions from the leaking lines and tank and .... aren't helping

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In the viedo I heard the engine stumble a few times. That tells me its shutting down electrically someone for just a second. A fuel additive run thru a tank full of fuel may help lots too. Try some atf in the next tank of fuel. Are you running on the 5 year old fuel in the tanks. If so that will burn but its not something thats too good for our fuel systems. Auto RX works wonders on the engine internals too. Kinda costly but for what it does its well worth the costs. The engine also doesn't seem to be running on the fast idle so that needs to be fixed. Probably a loose connection or just out of adjustment.

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well lets see here. most of the smoke goes away when it warms up but it does smoke blue when i get on it a little bit. Also the fuel part of it was 20 years old It sat in the truck since 91. I got out as much as I could get.

The fast idle solonoid clicks out and idk if it can get adjusted can it?

The IP was rebuilt maybe about 15 years ago. how do you change the timing with it? because last I checked the thing wouldn't even start. It had run itself out of fuel because the rubber lines from one of the fuel tanks were cracked.

I could try new injectors and return lines may help it a little. also the glow plugs i changed two of em out and wired the relay to a switch. (because the gp controller snapped off in the head haha oops.)

I'm new to diesels I am going to school for caterpillar to be a heavy equipment mechanic so maybe that will help me understand fuel systems more. THanks for all the input guys!

Ohh yeah, it also has a decent amount of blow by. It blows past the dipstick even though my dipstick is shot. I have another but I can barely get it to go in the dipstick tube.
here is a couple more videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nWqEtNjX1Y&feature=context&context=G2be84c4AUAAAAAAAAAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQuj1MPKDfU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Looks like air in fuel to me. Retarded timing will also cause that.

If its never had injectors replaced its probably past due. Id say some fuel system work should clear up your smoke issue. Return lines and injectors would be a good start. Also replacing any of the old dry rotted rubber fuel hose too. Even the slightest amount of air in fuel will cause white smoke.

tractorman86

Reaction score
I wouldn't be afraid of that at all. I would run a tank of new fuel heavily dosed with atf and power service and do return lines and caps first. Then assess the issues from there, knowing the age and miles it is probably over due for injectors and IP but run it a little and see if she cleans up any. Also the only way to tell if it is burning oil is to run it and keep a close eye on the level.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Air intrusion, and a few bad injectors (that miss is to rhythmic to be coincidental).

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be surprised how much of your blow by will go away when you get the fuel system straightened out and get new oil in there.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the CDR is gummed up crankcase pressure goes up and blowby goes up causing leaks and oil usage. Put that on your list of things to check or fix.

Listening to the video I hear a stumble that sounds to me like a couple injectors laying down on you. They could be streaking instead of spraying which means overfueling and smoke at idle and smoke when you get into it on a pull.

The start sounds pretty good for a cold engine so my guess would be decent compression and pretty good internals still, with a tired IP and Injectors. Clean up the IP / Injector issues and run it like you stole it till it breaks.

Decent looking truck BTW.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Staff online