Does My IDI have enough POWER??

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
while what your guys are saying in supposed to be true in theory.im seeing Franklin's results.
my fuel mileage is down since the turbo install.:(

http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=5088

she sure going up the hills a whole lot easier,and in a higher gear to boot! but i'll be danged if burning that extra fuel doesn't cost ya.cus that's what im seeing.
as n/a i think i was 14.6
im now 14.3 but since turbo install i bet am.....hang on.i'll figure it out exactly.

ouch.i did not want to know this.:(
14.6 n/a
12.99 mpg turbo

1.61 mpg loss adding a turbocharger to my idi engine.that ****** me right off actually seeing how that's the whole reason i bought and installed it lol.

so the damn turbo is costing me about as much as the srw to drw swap.that was needed for what i do.now i wish i skipped the turbo though.

Last edited:

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im able to pull 5k lbs up a 5% grade in my '90 no problem. As long as I keep the RPM above 2k I can maintain 65mph easily. AA tubo with the correct gearing makes all the difference,

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Your driving a 20+ year old non turbo diesel truck.

Your not driving a 2013 Diesel truck, that will tow your 10k lbs 5er up a 10% grade with the A/C on, on the cruise control in OD at 75mph while you quietly talk on your cell phone.

You sir, are driving a TRUCK! Get use to it! There loud, noisy, and slow :D

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man reading this is depressing! I didnt realize these beasts had that much trouble towing heavy up hills; im getting ready to move accross country soon. Guess ill be avoiding hills as much as I can!

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if a Turbo IDI uses more fuel going up a hill, would the N/A diesel not burn more fuel if it takes 30-50% more time to climb that hill at a lower speed?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too long ago I pulled up to a light and sure enough an old brick nose like mine was at a stop, it was a N/A 7.3 IDI car hauler service, he had a 3 car trailer with two cars and a dodge diesel truck he was pulling.
I hung out and listened to that truck struggle all 5 gears but he sure did get it up to 60mph. I know for me after driving that contraption I would be exhausted, just watching him was a chore, but that engine did the haul.

Javier

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man reading this is depressing! I didnt realize these beasts had that much trouble towing heavy up hills; im getting ready to move accross country soon. Guess ill be avoiding hills as much as I can!
there's more to driving across the country than seeing how fast you can go. Slow down and look at the scenery. Get off the big road and ck out the small towns (like in the movie "cars") if you can.The trick to making good time is to keep the doors shut and to keep moving. Having a few hills slow you down won't add much time to your trip.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol so many people have different luck I think it's that there rigs are not tuned as well as others. I have a bad e4od n/a 4:10 drw stock complety unbolted stock exhaust stock 2:35 tires an can run 70mph up a 6% grade at 2450 RPM's some times about 2750 to maintain. An can pull the trailer aluminum 2 horse with one 1400 pound horse. at 55 od off at 2700-2900 RPM's 6% an my turbo srw maxed pump an intake gets about 62-65 mph 4th gear at 2700-2950 RPM's with 4:10 gears an 285/75r16's towing 8k. Can't compare mileage as ones a drw. I average 14.2 with the drw an getting on free way fast have to in sd. An cruising freeway seen 15.9. Turbo truck gets 12.7-13.2 towing 8k used to be better my mileage as fell fast it seems the injectors an ip have 40k but I'm thinking my bb codes are crapping early time for a pop test! An jonjeep my gf says the drw isn't fast either but she likes the smell of it burnin veggi as its money an the pocket if you can't make a girl like that hmm idk if she's a keeper lol.

Last edited:

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while what your guys are saying in supposed to be true in theory.im seeing Franklin's results.
my fuel mileage is down since the turbo install.:(

http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=5088

she sure going up the hills a whole lot easier,and in a higher gear to boot! but i'll be danged if burning that extra fuel doesn't cost ya.cus that's what im seeing.
as n/a i think i was 14.6
im now 14.3 but since turbo install i bet am.....hang on.i'll figure it out exactly.

ouch.i did not want to know this.:(
14.6 n/a
12.99 mpg turbo

1.61 mpg loss adding a turbocharger to my idi engine.that ****** me right off actually seeing how that's the whole reason i bought and installed it lol.

so the damn turbo is costing me about as much as the srw to drw swap.that was needed for what i do.now i wish i skipped the turbo though.

One big factor in fuel mileage is how you drive. If you have a juiced up turbo you may tend to lay into the pedal more often, effecting fuel economy.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a '90 extended cab 4x4 e4od. I have had a problem with the MLPS or neutral position safety switch. I replaced the switch but not the connector, so the transmission still neutrals out... Replacing the connector is beyond my skill level, I will pay to have that replaced... My question is:

1. How well will the truck pull a 5000 lb trailer up a grade? Can I at least pull a 4% grade at 55 mph?? My ladyfriend says the truck does not have enough " go-power" to pull a 2 horse trailer up a mountain and keep up w/ traffic. I say, after I get the switch fixed it will do fine. Any opinions or knowledge welcomed, I have owned the truck for 4 months and I really like the IDI!! This forum is great also!! Jon

jon, we never have enough power.....sheeeeesh ;Really

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One big factor in fuel mileage is how you drive. If you have a juiced up turbo you may tend to lay into the pedal more often, effecting fuel economy.

i used to be in 2nd gear and WOT 3k+ rpm on the hills,just about all the way to the top.now im 3/4 throttle 3rd gear and backing off to 1/2 throttle towards the top.
i figured for sure this was going to yield a gain,but alas the numbers don't lie.:dunno

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Try climbing the hill at the same speed as you were N/A. Regardless of gearing, it still takes more energy to move X lbs Y feet at 50 mph than 40 mph.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's more to driving across the country than seeing how fast you can go. Slow down and look at the scenery. Get off the big road and ck out the small towns (like in the movie "cars") if you can.The trick to making good time is to keep the doors shut and to keep moving. Having a few hills slow you down won't add much time to your trip.

I hear that, when i moved from CT to AZ I had to ship my stuff and fly, only had 5 days to get out here for a new job. This time Im not going to agree to it unless I have 3-4 weeks to get my stuff in order and get there. I'm actually looking forward to seeing a bunch of the country, I'm the type who still is proud of the amazing landscape this country has to offer and wants to take it all in!

Hopefully my N/A Performs more like devons, after all Ill have copied his intake by then!