Does Hydroboost make disk drums stop better

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I'am still searching for a truck now that I have some money and the bank will loan me some money I'am looking. I'am still debating do I want to go with a F-350 4x4 or a F-Superduty.

My only worry about the F-350 is the braking power I know some of you have converted the vacuum to hydroboost I'am wondering if its made a big difference or not ?

I'am so used to the stopping power the old F-Superduties have if you stomp on it hard and your head goes though the windshield LOL

It doesn't take much pedal pressure and the brakes are working you push on them hard the truck stops on a dime. I know its not just because of the disk brakes it must be because of the hydroboost.

I have been looking again at different things to put in the diff to increase the traction of a F-Superduty. There is nothing really good for both worlds a limited slip isn't good enough for offroad where a Locker is good for offroad but its not so good for on road. Nothing can replace 4wheeldrive when it comes to getting out of slippery conditions.

My plan is keep searching for a F-350 4x4 and change the vacuum brakes to to hydroboost run the best brake pads and shoes you can buy. For the deck I'am going see if I can build most of it out of aluminum to keep the weight down to get max payload. Aluminum is cheaper than steel right now beleive it or not.

The other day I was at work I seen a 90-91 F-350 4x4 dually IDI 5spd with a 12' deck the truck was in perfect shape that truck is so rare. If it was forsale I would have bought it on the spot you never ever see a truck like that.

Anyhow back to my original topic does the hydroboost improve the stopping power of the old trucks with disk drum brakes ?

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I have looked into the ARB its the most expensive option its around 1200 dollars without the compressor. I like the idea of being selectable locking but for that kind of price where I won't be using it on a regular basis thats a good chunk of change.

I want to see if I can make a F-350 work for my situation its why I'am asking if hydroboost has made a improvement to the braking power capabilities.

The trucks I have had with disk drum with vacuum boost were pretty much Flintsone brakes even with brandnew shoes and pads and calipers etc. The trucks were gassers all F-350s with duals.

If I increase the suspension on the F-350 to handle a 12,000lb gvw better I would like it to stop a little better. I want to go to max gvw on the F-350 before I get into the commerical truck classification so 12,125lbs.

I'am also hoping going from a truck with 5:13s to a truck with 4:10s will get better fuel mileage I know I will loose some hill pulling power but right now 5:13s make a IDI scream on flats.

Getting into the 15mpg mark maybe wishfull thinking it would be nice as the fuel here is still at a 1.009 a liter so 3.73 a US gallon.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Thanks for the webshots link that guy sure has spent the money. I didn't realize the Dana 135 is so big man thats a tough axle no wonder the 550 I worked with carried 10,000lbs like nothing.

The Dana 80 is heavy enough for the work I do even a Dana 70 can do the job I never had a problem with a Dana 70 bending.

Last thing to keep in mind if I do look for a F-350 I will probably will have to pay extra 2 grand for a 4x4 because they seem to be more expensive over a comparable F-Superduty same year same kilometerage. Its something I'am thinking of aswell its a little frustrating let me tell you just because its 4wheeldrive does it make it worth more :confused:

I have found a couple darkside trucks 95 and a 96 and 97 F-Superduties for a reasonable price and a 97 F-350 4x4 that is way over priced cookoo

I have been looking in the ads for Alberta and they want big bucks for F-350 4x4s and the F-Superduties are cheaper.