Do you loosen injectors to rotate pump?

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im trying to advance my ip and have all the bolts loose and it just barely wiggles back and forth. Do I need to loosen the injector and feed line to rotate it?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be much easier with the lines disconnected, otherwise I use a big crescent wrench and a turn buckle to adjust it accurately

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got most loose but it still barely budged. I have plenty of slot left I just am at a loss how to rotate it

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
I used a pry bar.
I think the standard course is to have the lines loose to get it in the ball park like on a pump replacement, and you can fine tune it with the lines tight.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did that round off? shouldnt happen if you've got the right size wrench on it square, I would see if you can get a big pipe wrench on it or some vice grips

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did that round off? shouldnt happen if you've got the right size wrench on it square, I would see if you can get a big pipe wrench on it or some vice grips
because there is not much meat on those squares, and everyone uses a Hispanic speed wrench. happens to me every time, is why I bought Jasons IP wrench.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was using my snap on 3/4 wrench and my snap on 19mm, it rounded off at the bottom, it's not a square lug it's square the top 3 sides and the bottom flat slopes down and the wrench was sliding off that part rather easily. Bummer but I got it a hair advanced. Just doesn't make sense to me how you can turn it with the lines attached, they are metal lines so it would seem they would hold it in place

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was playing with timing a lot a while ago when I first got the idi
never had to loosen the hard lines, this worked well for me
a turnbuckle, 2 S hooks, and a 3/4 wrench
one s hook to the closed end of wrench on ip and other to iirc fuel filter bracket using the turnbuckle in-between to set the position of IP. once set tighten the bolts on ip

that sucker is hard to turn, the turnbuckle makes life easy. IMO I don't see how someone could turn the ip, hold it in position and tighten bolts all at once by hand.. I'm sure someone has tough

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn buckles really change the game after you try them once. I've never had to loosen injector lines either but once your pump wears and you run out of adjustment it becomes a lot harder to make it within timing spec

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was playing with timing a lot a while ago when I first got the idi
never had to loosen the hard lines, this worked well for me
a turnbuckle, 2 S hooks, and a 3/4 wrench
one s hook to the closed end of wrench on ip and other to iirc fuel filter bracket using the turnbuckle in-between to set the position of IP. once set tighten the bolts on ip

that sucker is hard to turn, the turnbuckle makes life easy. IMO I don't see how someone could turn the ip, hold it in position and tighten bolts all at once by hand.. I'm sure someone has tough

Any chance we could get a picture of this? I am having trouble envisioning it...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off make sure you don't have the same problem I did. P.O. didn't use washers under the nuts and the nuts had dug into the housing so it wouldn't turn. I put a washer until all three nuts and then mine would go more.