Do i need an intercooler for the Bull Moose pump?

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think for $400 or so I could get a nice water intercooler setup. I'd run a 1 gal sealed expansion tank to add capacity and provide expansion room for the system. I think they are much more efficient than an air cooled setup. I know you're still exchanging air but you're getting the best transfer at the high heat load and letting the air cooled radiator reject it at a higher temp than air to air, air doesn't transfer so well. I can tell you no one pumps air to heat or cool in any industrial location for any length over a couple hundred feet. They all pump water or glycol to a room heat exchanger because a 1" pipe of heated fluid can carry more thermal energy than a 1ft duct of air or somewhere thereabouts.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered everything, the 700cfm intercooler, radiator and such, then went ahead and ordered everything else i wanted, 1 gallon coolant expansion tank, 1/2 npt by 3/4 barb stainless fittings (couldnt find aluminum) a cobra coolant pump, some universal aluminum bends and the 2 1/4 by 2 1/8 exhaust pipe for intake hat. I also ordered some 2 1/2" silicon hose to minimize the actual bends i will need to make, i am hoping i am come basically straight out of the turbo, and straight back into the intake hat, the intercooler cooler should actually fit right between the turbo and master cylinder with a few inches to spare.

All in all i think i spent about $600. that's including a 120amp relay for all the radiator fans, a delay timer to keep any fans or coolant pumps from coming on until engine has run for 1 minute, an ajustable thermostat and coolant temp gauge. I think i'm going to put the coolant temp sensor into the inlet of the intercooler coolant and i'll have to come up with some sot of intake air temperature sensor, i am thinking the coolant temperature sensor may not be too quick to respond in a gas environment. It'll all take some tweaking but i think a water cooler intercooler will be far more efficient. I'll probably run around 35% propylene (thats just what i have access to as a ****** product) and make my own corossion inhibitor for the system. It can freeze around 0F but it just turns to like a slurpie consistency when a glycol mixture freezes so it would quickly melt. I think it gets below 10F maybe 2 or 3 days a year here. It wouldn't freeze solid until -40F.

When i drove home today on my road, 4 mile stretch at 60mph, egts aroud 550F, i stopped in my drive and shot the intake with an IR gun. Air filter intake temp was 85F (45F outside), and turbo intake has was 105F. I may look to route my filter outside of the engine bay too somewhere.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need another h20 ic test mule ' only seen 1 in my searches.
If this works out at 6 bills it may start a ground swell.
Do keep us informed as to the progress.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I certainly will. I see no reason it shouldnt work better than an air unit. I'll have thermostatic control over the air intake temperature. It should definitely work better for fuel ecconomy in colder weather.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious but what type of mileage are you seeing with your setup? It sound like you regularly drive it too like i do. I see 14.4 to 15.5 which i dont think is terrible but i think i can make it better, i average 44-48mpg is the passat tdi i have, i'm an easy driver.

driving around town I get around 12 to 14 and its pretty consistent but it depends how many people **** me off on the road. on the highway I can be around 16 but I don't do a lot of long distance drives and if I do its towing. the truck is 8,500 pounds dry so I know that doesn't help. that weight is measured on a scale at the scrap yard. the funny part is when I ask other people what there truck weighs they look at the door and say 9,000 pounds and its a regular cab long bed, I just shake my head and walk away.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's interesting is i changed timing from the 4 degrees i found it to be when i checked it Wednesday to 6.5, and though i only drove about 200 miles it has improved by just over 1mpg. Actually colder weather these past fuel ups, and yesterday i had a 20mph head wind for about 60 miles of driving. I know its only 200 miles so not the best data but i will have a trailer tomorrow so i stopped early. I usually fuel up every 600 miles.

Attachments

• fuelly.png
    fuelly.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 62

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to be aware of is the switch to summer blend is happening or has happened. Looks like you are at or maybe slightly better than you were in December. Probably the drop corresponds to that change over. Just an observation. Maybe it's coincidence but winter blend has less energy content hence the mileage drop.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Received my 700CFM water intercooler today, i havent decided on where i want to mount it just yet but even with it laying on my home made intake the hood still closes fine. Looking at how much i can rotate the intake hat before it hits the turbo hot side i am thinking ill have to mount it forward over the intake instead of towards the driver side by the master cylinder like i had wanteed. The unit is very thick, 1/4" aluminum on the outside, and has two large mounting holes, like 3/8 inch that protrude into the air sides of the inter cooler. Thee diagram says the are M8 thread.

The included radiator is very high quality too. I am going to mount it on the front passenger side of the radiator and the coolant resivoir behind the grill on the driver side if i can get it to fit. Still waiting on a few parts though. I did order 2 10 inch fans for that radiator, a 250amp alternator to power the now 6 fans the truck will have when i'm done and the coolant pump. I have the rule pump that came with the kit but i purchase a cobra pump i plan on using. Maybe i'll use one on the hot side and one on the cold side, maybe not double flow but certianly help it since i have them.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle