DMF springs

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I think the DMF is finally going out. I pulled the inspection cover and the 2 springs I could get to were loose. Not flopping around, just loose enough to wiggle and spin in place. I have had a weird clatter noise under acceleration ever since I did the IP, and injectors. I could have been before that, I am not sure. The lifters helped with another noise. This one just was more noticeable after the lifters were done.

The noise is not there, at least I can't seem to hear it, at idle. It is there a little on deceleration and cruising a steady speed. It is still the clutch that was in it when I bought the truck (4+ yrs, 45,000 miles) so it probably needs to be done. I am looking at South Bend and LUK for a SMF kit.

One last question for now, There are 2 kits, 1944325k (Stock), 1944325OK (375 hp, 800 ft lbs torque). I am NA. Would it be worth it to go with the higher hp one (longevity, strength) or just go with the stock. There is about a $145 difference.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think when I put the ZF5 in mine, the difference was the cheaper one was 11" and the high output was 13.25". I went with the larger one (not 100% sure on sizes, but know it was nearly 2" difference) and I've not looked back. I went with a Sachs setup though, flywheel and all from the local parts peddler was $400. I then got a SB Kevlar pilot bearing as the kit came with a roller bearing. I pull a lot of heavy stuff and while I'm not sure if the smaller one would have held up, I know so far the larger one has! I'm NA at the moment also.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have a trans jack I can lend, Alan. Haven't used it on a 4x4/transfer case before, but I trust it'll work; 800 lb capacity.

Thank you. I will keep it in mind. The truck runs and works great, just getting noisy. Doing my research, saving $.

I remember a post a while back that highly suggested to pull transfer case and trans separately, so that is most likely the route I will take. I also have a very good friend that is a master mechanic (gas, no diesel, yet) who has told me he "will help me do my clutch when it is needed!!!". We help each other and he says he hasn't helped in awhile so he really wants to. As long as our days off work out. :D

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely separate the trans and transfer case! Even with the trans jack, getting back up in the "hole" takes a bit of maneuvering.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online