Digital Clamp Ampmeter

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel my tool box needs a clampon digital amp meter so I can keep track of the starter amp draw. Anybody got any ideas of a decent type? Simpson... Fluke or ?

suv7734

Reaction score
ICFA

Fluke has always been my way to go. I end up all over the place from Florida to California to Washington to Rhode Island and even in the New York snow or the Georgia heat they always works (the scope is a bit fussy about cold). BTW I have all the goodies for all of them and the 'clamp' is awesome.
It would appear now that you have the truck and tranny under control you have a bit too much time ;Really :rotflmao

Bruce

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at a previous show we used a fluke and worked real well... Dont remember the model number, sorry

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Fluke or Electronic Specialties make decent ones, the ES is 1/2 the price of the Fluke too. We have an ES at work, does the job for us.

2manydsls

Reaction score
Also, if you already have a GOOD digital Volt Ohm Meter, you can get an add on clamp on Amp meter that hooks up to your VOM and uses the digital display on your existing meter. I have a Fluke that works on both AC and DC Amps and it's great for alternator, battery, starter, glow plug trouble shooting. I can get the part # if your interested.
Ross

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fluke is great stuff, but, they unfortunatley don't make a clamp on with temperature(I'm a heating guy for the time being...) so, I don't use mine for work, have an Amprobe for that.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
The best DC clamp meter that I have ever used is the Fluke 337. Its expensive but had the bes DC ammeter I have ever used. You might be able to find a decent one on e-bay.
Ken

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I have a UEI Multimeter w/clamp on ac ad amprobe,and plugin temp probe.Had it since 1997 or so.It has been recalibrated a few times( we used to do it yearly at the plant,and it was always pretty darn close ) .It was cost effective and was not bad when it was calabrated.Its been 6 yrs since calabration -gonna send it out soon.I got it as an attachment to my UEI multimeter(wwe bought 1 for each of our Class A mechanics. No it isn't a simpson -nor is it a Fluke But darn close, for us older retired & retarded guys it is just what the DR. ordered.