Diesel Power's Project 300 IDI Build Up

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad to see you posting an update Jason. Who are you goung to use for a machine shop to do the machining work...

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweeeet. Are you building your driver up, or just rebuilding it? Couldn't tell which engine the Heath reference was for, the "one good one" or the one you were going to blow up...

Can't wait to see some - ehem - results. (The build threads don't typically get that far.) Especially if you rummage up a vendor that can actually support an IDI buildup like Heath does with the GMs.
:popcorn

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good machine shop. Know of any that specialize in our engines? In the LA area? Hopefully kind of close to Palmdale because I'm not sure how much longer my 6.9L already in the truck is going to last.

The Heath references the good one. He told me he drives that truck on the street with no problems. Filled block and slightly increased compression ratio with the weaker 6.5L (compared to our mighty 6.9/7.3).

I'd like to build one engine safe and the other crazy.

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filled block, ARP head studs, Moose Pump and injectors (wink wink), already got the ATS turbo and Snow Performance water/****.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool Jason. Glad to see you posting up on OB again and glad to see the project IDI still getting the love it deserves.

For fuel I say......... Super Moose Pump and Super Moose Injectors. It's just money right?:D

Heath Diesel is helping out? Wow! That could lead to a whole host of new IDI products that would be available to the masses. I don't know why Bill Heath likes messing with those GM IDI's anyway. Hopefully, he will become a big IH IDI fan in the very near future.;Sweet

By the way, this is the 10 year Anniversary for the IDI rally and Mel (Mr. Moose himself) is hosting this year.

Heath

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It feels good to be back.

Heath Diesel is only helping in spirit (he likes his GM IDIs and is going to stick with them I've tried to get him on our side).

Still we should be able to get some other parts flowing. Why hasn't anyone started their own 6.9/7.3 specific business? Or is there one?

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put 2 in the rear attached to the rear axle, and leave the 6.9 for the front?

I know a guy here in MA who will do the machine work, but he doesn't specialize in diesels, let alone the IDI. I suspect Gary will chime in with a recommendation close to you, since his sig has signs of machine work. The only aftermarket I've ever seen is Hypermax and a company called Barnett High Performance. But I've never been able to find anyone who's actually used them. They used to advertise IDI stroker motors but I see that's gone now. Just heads.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath Diesel is only helping in spirit (he likes his GM IDIs and is going to stick with them I've tried to get him on our side).

Still we should be able to get some other parts flowing. Why hasn't anyone started their own 6.9/7.3 specific business? Or is there one?

Well shoot, it would have been good to get his two cents on the IH IDI's and what can be done to them/for them.

Sorry. There is not an IH IDI equivalent to Heath Diesel. I wish there was.

Heath

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
How bout lowering the compression slightly maybe around 19-20:1 then go crazy with fuel and boost, so far im holding 20 psi daily with mine thats with stock bolts but my compression is 20.7:1

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like not having to wait for the turbo. It'd be interesting to see the mpg and power increase with increased compression. The smaller the combustion chamber the less space there is for heat to leak out. It'll be a matter of holding it together.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone is always talking about lowered compression. It would be interesting to see a higher compression. Might make starting easier. Should help out w/ torque alot also right?

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thermal efficiency (work out divided by fuel in) increases with increased compression ratio. Diesel's first patent called for 52:1 compression ratio and 73 percent thermal efficiency today's engine are about 30 to 40 percent efficient.