diesel fish/ski

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im thinkin about puttin together a oil burnin boat with a 6.5td, i think it would be a pretty cool project.
the problem is that i dont want to use the stock exhaust setup with the crossover pipe. i would rather go twin turbo and cap the boost off at about 12psi with a air/water intercooler.

who sells twin turbo headers?:dunno

i got a line on some good military humvee engines, do these have the strong blocks with oil cooled pistons?:dunno

should i put in lower comp pistons and raise boost or keep the boost at about 12 psi and use stock pistons?:dunno

the other build items for the 6.5 would be a scat crank, gearvendors timming gears, water injection,mech lift pump not electric. anyother ideas?
im not building the motor for performance just tryin to build a bullet proof wmo burner.

this is the kinda boat im talkin about. you guys have any comments let me hear'em
http://for-sale.yakaz.com/r/?wIqvWcU...+GVyC48nM=

Last edited:

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok-im thinkin now that a 4bt might be a better motor.

any ides how much one weighs?

it makes alot more power then the 6.5 and is pretty reliable to boot add a hx35 turbo and some good injectors and your talkin about a pretty good motor.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.5's are boat anchors, not boat engines. The funnest part of owning a 6.5 is busting out the BIG torch tip and cranking up the bottles to blow through the oil pan and rear conrod/crank throw to facilitate turning the friggin thing over so you can get the flexplate bolts out. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that's with 65K original miles on a "better design" 6.5 bone stock that broke it's crank in 3 places, block, both heads and wasted a 2 day old $1500 turbo.

You can buy marine 4BT's right from your local Cummins dealer in ratings up to 450HP. Yes, I said 450HP for a marine 4BT turnkey. Do that with your 6.5.

They weigh 800 wet.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
...2 day old $1500 turbo...

Running yer light duty engine like a Cummins were ya? ;Sweet smart thinkin there :rotflmao

OP-I considered this a bit, I'll be going the Mercedes OM617 route, both the GM and Mercedes engines are quieter than the dodge, the GM is a bit bigger, but the torque is down lower, so be sure to look into regearing your out drive and perhaps changing your prop, I'm going from a 188hp 302 to a 150hp and similar torque diesel, with the OM616 the power curve is closer, but be ready to build your own adapters...