Diesel Down! Lift Pump Issue. Advice Needed

ISELLTRUX

Cars and SUV's
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot loosen the nut that has the steel line attached from the lift pump without bending the pump and or stripping the nut. I am using a line wrench and still no go. Tried to tighten it a bit to free it up and still nothing. I used spray lube. My question is if I remove the pump with the steel line attached, can I use rubber fuel line in place of it. If so, what parts would I need to complete the connections? I replaced some gummy rubber fuel line.

Symptoms:

No fuel coming from schrader valve.
Tank is full.
When the truck starts to run bad and or die, I find that the fuel filter is half full. I refill filter and might get it to start for a while.

It is fuel related for sure.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blockage in fss maybe...feed side of lift pump is rubber hose...try seperate feul line to a gerry can...test if lift pump or before by doing that.

Yes u could remove pump and line

Need 2 nipples and rubber line and clamps

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try some Loctite Freeze and Release on the nut.

Good luck and Happy Labor Day

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted. Yes.. That steel line can be removed and then just use rubber 3/8 fuel line. Might want to replace the rubber line on the inlet side of said lift pump too. Many times they fail from the inside out but look fine outside. Think how much flexing that line sees from the constant movement of the engine. I'm surprised they last as long as they do.

ISELLTRUX

Cars and SUV's
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As already posted. Yes.. That steel line can be removed and then just use rubber 3/8 fuel line. Might want to replace the rubber line on the inlet side of said lift pump too. Many times they fail from the inside out but look fine outside. Think how much flexing that line sees from the constant movement of the engine. I'm surprised they last as long as they do.

Agreed Sir. That piece of fuel line on the intake side was like a piece of chewing gum. I replaced it with hopes that it might have been the culprit. Still not getting any fuel to the filter head. Thanks for your input.

ISELLTRUX

Cars and SUV's
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lift pump replaced. I am curious about blockage in FSS. That is the "fuel selector switch" that switches the supply between tanks right? I m only using the rear tank due to an un-diagnosed leak on the front tank. Switch still works. Can it be removed and cleaned? Or should I try to toggle the switch back and forth?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
As a quick check for blockage on the suction side of the system from tank to lift pump inlet, I like to blow back through the lines and listen for bubbles in the tank. Afterwords it should prime up. (you can help it prime by leaving hose off at pump inlet and use a rag and blow gun to put slight pressure in the fuel tank and fuel should free flow out of hose that normally goes to pump inlet.) Many times pieces of broken suction bell (shower head) get sucked up the line over time and block lines or inlet to fuel selector valve.

ISELLTRUX

Cars and SUV's
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all input guys. It is up and running again. Sounds great and is running smooth again. After removing the lift pump with the steel line attached I was able to free the frozen nut. Thanks again for taking the time to make suggestions.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it...sometimes these trucks put up a pretty good fight!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The bigger the fight the better the feeling is when we fix things and hear the engine come to life again... The sweet sound of victory...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::sly

ISELLTRUX

Cars and SUV's
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my truck ran great for about a week. Fuel issue showed up again and shut the engine down quickly this time. No fuel at the filter head. Fuel flow from fuel tank to lift pump is good. I replaced lift pump again. It started and ran smooth for about three minutes then started to shudder like air intrusion and then shut down. repeat. There are no visible fuel leaks anywhere. I will replace the fuel filter today to see what that might remedy. Also replaced the valve stem on filter head and olive on steel fuel line to filter head. Any suggestions?

On another note, is it possible that a bad tie rod end could oblong the hole on the steering knuckle?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On another note, is it possible that a bad tie rod end could oblong the hole on the steering knuckle?
If the nut on the ball joint is/was loose it could. More than likely the ball joint is shot.

Do you have a 1/4 of fuel or less in the tank your using? If you do, maybe the shower head has disintegrated and could cause rubber to get into the FSV and plug it up.