Diesel and Gasoline mixture

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 100 gallon transfer tank in the back of my IDI. I have need to fill it
with Diesel sometimes and Gasoline sometimes to fuel a small fleet. Here is the question: When I empty the tank, I am sure there is 1-2 gallons of liquid still in the tank. Am I flirting with danger if I end up fueling gasoline vehicles with a mixture that is 1-2% diesel, or if I fuel diesel vehicles with a mixture that is 1-2% gasoline? Which type of engine is least tolerant of mixed fuel? Thanks. --Andy

tractorman86

Reaction score
depends, newer anything dosent like any varriants. but when it comes to the older stuff the diesel will suffer

Last edited:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 100 gallon transfer tank in the back of my IDI. I have need to fill it
with Diesel sometimes and Gasoline sometimes to fuel a small fleet. Here is the question: When I empty the tank, I am sure there is 1-2 gallons of liquid still in the tank. Am I flirting with danger if I end up fueling gasoline vehicles with a mixture that is 1-2% diesel, or if I fuel diesel vehicles with a mixture that is 1-2% gasoline? Which type of engine is least tolerant of mixed fuel? Thanks. --Andy

If it is only 1-2% I don't think it will do any harm to either one.

I've heard of lots of folks putting up to a full gallon of gasoline in their 20 gallon tanks every fillup in the winter (5% by volume) for easier starting and anti-jelling and haven't heard of it hurting anybody's engine. Though diesel lubricant addatives (like DieselKleen) to keep the pump lubed up become even more important in our older diesels when you've added a little non-lubricating fuel like gasoline to the mix.

1-2% of diesel in gasoline is just going to raise the octane rating a little. If you're running it in fuel injected vehicles it might cause injector deposits over time.

I wouldn't be too worried about it either way.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see a big deal, they are both hydrocarbon fuels and will mix freely. I've burned "old" gasoline in my truck with no problems as long as I keep the percentages down.

My biggest concern is "forgetting" which fuel you have and mis-fueling. Personally I would rather have two seperate tanks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just throw in some lubricity additive to compensate for the gasoline, and you should be fine.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just bring me the fuel, and ill use it and tell you how it works. ill take one for the team and let you know

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, I wouldn't have any problem putting it in any of my vehicles (gas or diesel) with a touch of the other fuels mixed in. Not too many years back, many people around here cut diesel with gas in winter time for their own custom winter blend.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I'd suggest a dual fueling tank. One side for diesel, the other gasoline.
With the thought that if your going to be fueling any newer equipment. They are much less tolerant. Can you imagine trying to get a warrenty claim if they found out you were fueling this way?

Let alone the long term maintainence isssues. I'm thinking the gassers would be less tolerant of the diesel.

Last edited: