Did my grandpa add a fix to the clutch rod?

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I’m installing a new clutch master cylinder and hose, the slave is brand new and installed. Had a new clutch kit installed and since I had I blew the old slave cylinder out and figured it’s time to service the hydraulics and pedal bushing.

I’ve read about a lot of the methods used to sure up the clutch rod linkage due to bushing failure. I Snapped a picture underneath the pedal assembly and it looks like my grandpa had modified back when he had the truck with the big red pin through the pedal stub and what also looks like the reinforcement bracket/plate on the fire wall?

Am I seeing this right? Either way, I’m replacing the bushing tomorrow when the new master cylinder and clutch rod get installed. Was going to do the “7/16 drill stop” fix until I read that another method was to drill out the stub and install a pin which is what I think is in there now. I also broke down and got a vacuum bleeder incase it’s needed.

And the nasty white grease was from me spraying the linkages under there with an aerosol can of white lithium, need to clean that up while I’m under there.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year truck? If it's a slantnose like in your avatar, that's actually stock. My '85 has that same hole in the pin and the same clip going through the hole. I believe the adjustable pushrod is aftermarket; looks like the one I got at RockAuto.

It's the later trucks that have just the plastic bushing, and they depend on the "snap-in" action of the pin into the bushing to keep it in place. That's why they need the stop collar (or a heim joint). Your generation of truck doesn't need it.

But now you got me wondering -- The arm on yours is reversed (flipped) compared to mine. On mine, the pin points toward the passenger side. That's how the later trucks are. I was about to say that I think yours is the wrong way. But now I'm wondering if yours is maybe the right way. Now I gotta go see if there's a not-sucky picture in the FSM anywhere....

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mines an 83, I’m about to head out to tear into it now. Did grab a new bushing from NAPA while I’m in there it will be replaced.

Thanks for responding!!

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

It’s all installed, hooked the entire hydraulic system up outside the truck with a new hose and then bled it in a fresh bucket of dot 3

Working fine now, all the action’s at the bottom of the clutch pedal as far as the clutch action.

I had my daughter work the clutch pedal while I watched master cylinder, and barely noticeable but there is the slightest movement of the master cylinder. I didn’t see any evidence of cracking on my firewall though, is any detectable movement of the master cylinder normal?

Last edited:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the master shouildn't move. Could be the firewall just flexing. There are a few different reinforcement options, IIRC. Do you have any of them?

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The firewall was flexing, I barely noticed it at first.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media