Detroit True Trac worth it

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I'am still searching for a truck I think I will stick with a F-Superduty (450) because they are a tougher truck.

The construction industry is going great guns these new houses need landscaping so that means skid steers and mini excavators and trucks that will haul 2 yards of material. Its been so slow for guys like me that work in the landscape industry but now with the housing boom theres alot of work.

Now I'am making some money now I can buy a newer truck to upgrade the old truck I have now. I'am looking a F-Superduties again the problem with them is 2wd is a drawback in some situations.

I have been reading the literature on the Detroit True Trac all gear limited slip I'am wondering if it could be too good to be true. I really don't know if I want to deal with the clanking and banging of a Locker.

Any thoughts on the True Trac ?

I feel a limited slip or locker in combination with a good set of traction tires like BFG Commercial T/A or Toyo M-55 or if I really want to break the bank XPS Michelins at 250 a tire :eek: is gonna have to do.

A F-350 4x4 is way too under braked for 6000lb loads which 2 yards of gravel weighs they don't have the braking power to stop a truck grossing anymore than 12,000lbs. If I'am going to go back into landscaping and probably start dragging a trailer with a mini excavator a F-350 is a little to light.

A 99 or newer 450 4x4 isn't a option they are over priced a diesel cab and chassis is nothing less than 25,000 dollars I'am looking at 95-97 F-450s for 10,000-14,000 dollars with low kilometers.

Anyhow is limited slips worth it remeber there isn't many options for Dana 80s with 37 spline axles. The cheapest option is a lockright the Detroit Locker is 1100 dollars.

Last edited:

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Well, if you're want to put such power to the ground, you are going to want a rear end that will take the power & not break.

Therefore the only choice for you that makes any sence is for ya to go with a Detroit Locker as it's the strongest locker on the market.

I've got one & it's not all that noisy IMHO.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I have read most articals on traction aids for diffs and most articals come to the conclusion that limited slip diffs are a waste of money. The Detroit True trac says its a all gear limited slip but it does say for light duty use.

I'am not overly woried about noise with a locker its how much lurching and banging I will feel. The trucks I'am looking at will have a 161wb (84ca) the truck will prolly weigh around 8000lbs M/T.

As I meantioned a 99 or newer 450 4x4 is out of the question because I want to not deal with the commercial truck crap. I have been hearing that the guys that have been buying the newer Superdutys are finding out they can't use their trucks as personal use like they did before with F-350s.

Its something I have known for a long time and now that the F-450 and F-550 trucks have become more prominant the DOT can pick on them as a F-450 is in the gvw range. The main thing they can really nail you for is gvw and being overweight they also can pinch you for parking or traveling in areas where your not allowed to be with a 15,000lb gvw truck.

If I'am gonna stick with a F-450 sized truck it will be the F-Superduty with the old body style you can get away with murder DOT wise with these trucks. They look like a regular 1 ton truck most people think the truck is a 4x4 the cops really can't tell if the truck has a gvw above 12,000lbs.

I had loads on my current truck that would have netted me overweight fines but never been bothered by the cops because they figure I'am a 1 ton truck :D

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if thatas the truck your wanting...with that amount of load on it, traction should not be an issue at all. with that said, i'd say go with a selectable locker, solid lock when you need it, at the flip of a switch your back to ltd slip. ;Sweet

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
My traction problems is with a empty truck but when I have 6000lbs of gravel I don't have any problems with spinning wheels.

Its usually when I delivered the load of topsoil and I have to climb the persons driveway back up and I'am ditch witching it my tires. What is a piece of cake for a front wheeldrive car is a pain in the *** for a dually truck.

I looked into the ARB yikes the price of them is quite abit but I do like the idea of selectable locker or its more like a spool when locked.

I really wish I could know what the true charistics of a Detroit locker in a truck is like. Not many trucks around here equiped with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online