Detroit Diesels 12v71 Modifications

johnb11

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have an opportunity to purchase a KW with a DD12v71. What I need to know is specifically this.
1. Is there anyone who is getting around 10 or more miles per gallon out of these?
2. Is there anyone who has converted to ECM electroninc fuel injection setup?
Thanks
JB

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
10 mpg outa a semi ? electronic fuel injection setup on a 12v71 ? bolth not gonna happen with out alot of mods and alternitive fuels 4 to 6 is good mpg for a semi

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always happy when we got 6 MPG out of our 9400 with the C15. Our Mack only got 2 or 3, however that truck was always run hard.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 671 TT the numbers work like this---first number are cylinders--mine 6 yours 12--next is if it is a v or inline--and last the cubic inches per cylinder--then comes the t for turbo and a second t for taylored torgue. They all have a supercharger and only a hand full of the last production 671 had electronic injection. There is a letter for the electronic injection but I don't remember what it is.
Also none had glow plugs and will not start below 30 degrees without pluging in over night. I nice trick to learn is to crank in very short bursts 5 second till it starts to kick then a few more bursts and they will start. This heats the cylinders or you can use a flameing rag at the intake to suck in heat. Fuel milage is around 5 to 7 depending on how you run them. Staying in the sweet spot as much as possible on level ground is best, but they must and also like to be run up against the govenor on hills. Don't worry these engines will run a long time maxed out--you keep the egt's down as well. Want to know more just ask.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we got 6v92 here at which are similar, and have the DDEC system. detroit diesel electronic control system. expect to change most of the fuel injections system, espsecialy the injectors. other than that it is mostly just some sensors on the actual motor. you are going to have a harder time wiriing it to the cab/chassis.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I have a 671 TT the numbers work like this---first number are cylinders--mine 6 yours 12--next is if it is a v or inline--and last the cubic inches per cylinder--then comes the t for turbo and a second t for taylored torgue. They all have a supercharger and only a hand full of the last production 671 had electronic injection. There is a letter for the electronic injection but I don't remember what it is.
Also none had glow plugs and will not start below 30 degrees without pluging in over night. I nice trick to learn is to crank in very short bursts 5 second till it starts to kick then a few more bursts and they will start. This heats the cylinders or you can use a flameing rag at the intake to suck in heat. Fuel milage is around 5 to 7 depending on how you run them. Staying in the sweet spot as much as possible on level ground is best, but they must and also like to be run up against the govenor on hills. Don't worry these engines will run a long time maxed out--you keep the egt's down as well. Want to know more just ask.

you also have TIB which as in 671TIB which means turbo, intercooled, bypass. Bypass means once the turbo builds up boost, it bypasses the blower, allowing for higher boost.

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
i might be wrong but 12v71 12 cylinder 2 stroke so super chagered and turboed and also means make your stacks tall as possible and but some ear muffs that b###h is going to scream

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have an opportunity to purchase a KW with a DD12v71. What I need to know is specifically this.
1. Is there anyone who is getting around 10 or more miles per gallon out of these?
2. Is there anyone who has converted to ECM electroninc fuel injection setup?
Thanks
JB

10+ mpgs :rotflmao

That rig would make a *******' ratrod ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online