Delphi Injection Pumps

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When Mel rebuilds his pumps it takes some very close work on the head to rollers. They use sunlight to see what the clearance is. This extra work takes lots of time to do correctly. This area of the pumping head has a clearance way less than half a thousands. Probably more like a ten thousands or two. Note to those with hard start after warmed up. Try thickening the diesel fuel. Any oil added to the fuel will thicken it so the worn out head can actually make pressure to start. Of try bump starting the engine if possible.That way you really get the pump spinning faster making pressure. No matter what you do.. your pump is shot and who knows when it fails for good...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m on my 3rd ip on my 94 7.3 idi. Have had it rebuilt twice. The same issue both times it’s been rebuilt. Cranks great when cold. Sits an hour or 2 after it’s warm will not start without pouring water on pump. Not sure what to do with it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How many miles do you have on it?

Mtew2000

Reaction score
The truck only has 100000 miles. The latest pump has less than 5000. Didn’t realize what was going on until I joined this site last week. Thought I had some other issue. Wish I would’ve found this site a lot sooner.

Mtew2000

Reaction score
I also read somewhere that some kind of lubricant additive could help also. Gonna try before pulling pump again.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stanadyne performance lubricity additive is what I use and what is commonly recommended here, with only 100k on it I would be incofident in the ability of the rebuilder as well the reliability of that pump.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running two Delphi pumps right now that came from summit and am very impressed with how well they run.
Maybe just a bad pump with the OP. Since when are all rebuilt parts perfect? A bad one can pop up now and again.

This truck of mine that I personally drive daily, has a Delphi pump and it's the best running truck I've had to date.
I would buy another Delphi pump in a second and I've bought pumps from many rebuilders, including ones recommended on here.

red1979ta

Reaction score
I'm running two Delphi pumps right now that came from summit and am very impressed with how well they run.
Maybe just a bad pump with the OP. Since when are all rebuilt parts perfect? A bad one can pop up now and again.

This truck of mine that I personally drive daily, has a Delphi pump and it's the best running truck I've had to date.
I would buy another Delphi pump in a second and I've bought pumps from many rebuilders, including ones recommended on here.

Glad to hear something positive. When running, it runs very smooth, and does not hesitate. Im guessing I got one built on a Friday afternoon or Monday morning. I will update with my results as I will be receiving the new pump this week. I purchased a Rotunda unit on Ebay before I rebuilt the engine. I like knowing that #1, everything is new (lines, tanks, fittings, etc.) #2, I can time it accurately and know that its not a problem. It has made diagnostic much easier and things can be ruled out very quickly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828