DD/Worktruck build

JakeUlch

Reaction score
Figure I’d get a thread going here with my new to me truck. Plan on making it into a daily and use when I get business going to tow around trailers. Got a good to me deal on 92 f250 xlt 4wd 5 speed pretty straight body wise needs some love in other areas. Haven’t had it for to long only done the rear brakes so far and am working on the spark plugs. Lots of info from you guys look forward to the help and maybe help out if I can.

JakeUlch

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spark plugs eh? must be something new LOL. nice truck tho. you plan on putting a turbo on that thing?

JakeUlch

Reaction score
Ha damn probably couldn’t have guessed this was my first diesel. Hopefully I don’t put gas in it when I go to fill it up! Been having a hard cold start issue PO said he put all new glow plugs and relay in but I checked them, #4 and #1 looked like old autolites I put new motorcraft in, and the rest checked ok. Not sure if he wired the relay up right.

JakeUlch

Reaction score
Relay look ok? Found these two mystery things maybe you guys can identify as well

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Hopefully I don’t put gas in it when I go to fill it up!
I hope not too. It does say "diesel fuel only" by the fuel gauge and the stickers inside the fuel doors may still be there. You'll know pretty quick that you F'd up if you do put gas in it.

JakeUlch

Reaction score
For how old it is, it’s a pretty straight truck. Main goal for now is to get it running and stopping good and maybe drive straight. Maybe get another motor and build that until the one that’s in it goes

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Relay look ok? Found these two mystery things maybe you guys can identify as well
I'm no help on the relay. The plug that your finger is pointing to looks like it may go onto the "water in fuel" sender. If it's still there, there's a plug on the bottom of the fuel filter or the water seperator bowl.

JakeUlch

Reaction score
Cool thanks I’ll have to check there.

As this is my first diesel what’s the normal gp operation. After checking and changing the bad plugs I’m still having a hard time getting it started. It’s been about 30° here so maybe it’s normal, I keep it to plugged in. I turn the key wait to start comes on for ten seconds or so then relay stars clicking and have to crank a while until I get it going. If I turn it off then back on the wait to start comes on for a second and the relay clicks. I do have a small leak in the return lines of the injectors could that be part of the issue? Thanks

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I do have a small leak in the return lines of the injectors could that be part of the issue? Thanks
Yep. That's probably the issue. If it's been a while (or if you don't know) since the return lines were replaced, you should just plan on replacing the whole return line system. The lines themselves could be brittle and crack when you move them. The O-rings on the injectors can leak once you disturb the cap. This breaks the seal between the cap and o-ring. Sometimes all it takes is barely moving a cap when pulling the line off of the one next to it.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk to thewespaul he has a good check valve that might help you out but if the plugs hit for 10 seconds at 30 it should fire pretty quick I'm with idibronco you got some air intrusion in your fuel system

JakeUlch

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I’ll get to ordering the repair kit and getting that fixed up. Any brand better than another? Haven’t really driven the truck much sense I’ve had it but anxious to get it rolling. Once I get it driving good I’ll be getting the exhaust done. Lots of stuff on here to read about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online