DANA 70 Axle Vent Thread Size ??

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I need to know the thread size for the axle-vent thingie on a Dana 70 DRW.

I found my axle-vent/ brake-line splitter gizmo snapped off flush with the axle tube.

Thanks.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
unless its a press in with no threads it is probubly a 1/4 pipe thread fitting. havent messed with the 70 but that is what i have found on smaller axels like the 30 and 44.

if it is the bolt that holds the distribution block splitting the hose to hard lines on both sides i think they are a standerd 1/4 - 20 machine bolt. i can try to check mine later but it is a SRW sterling. do you have what is left of the bolt?

subway

Reaction score
sorry for leading you astray i checked mine and it is 7/16 - 20, i imagine yours would be the same. not used to these big trucks yet, hope this helps in time.

Attachments

• CIMG0699.JPG
    CIMG0699.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 7
  • CIMG0705.JPG
    CIMG0705.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 6

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Does that bolt have a hole through the center of it??

Your set-up doesn't really look like mine; but, after I get the thing cleaned up, it might be the same.

The one in the picture looks to screw in the top of the tube; whereas, mine was screwed in the rear side of the tube, at about the center from top to bottom.

Everyone should crawl under and check the vents and hoses, as they will stop up real quick, with mud-daubers and such.

Once stopped up, heat will create pressure, pushing lube out the seals.

Thanks for the pictures.

subway

Reaction score
yes the bolt is hollow and it is screwed into the back side of the axle but on the upper side not in the middle. i just left the vent tube on the bolt holding everthing together because i was just checking the threads. i dont really plan on mudding a 4 door long bed but i agree from jeeping experiance not to get these things clogged and to run the vent hose up somewhere high.