Dana 60 Balljoint Replacement

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it appears my lower balljoints are shot. I was wanting to get some advice on the best way to go about replacing them. Let me state that I've never worked on a D60 before.

I know I have to remove the calipers, rotors, hubs and spindles prior to the knuckles coming off. I have the auto locking hubs. What should I be wary of while disassembling them?

Are there any other parts I should replace besides the balljoints while I have them apart?

What if any special tools do I need to disassemble and reassemble the hubs?

I know a balljoint removal tool would be useful. I also have relatives who are Snap-On truck drivers. What should I be asking them for to assure I get the right tools?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I just haven't worked on much 4x4 stuff in my life yet. That's all changing however.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Balljoints in these trucks require a press and practice to install. I suggest you bring it to a shop to have the ball joints done.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO change the hubs out for superwinch or warn manuals while your at it.

Lots of bad experience w/ FORD auto lockers-cuss

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as letting a shop do the work, no thanks. I am far more than capable of doing this. I am just as of yet inexperienced. That won't be the case soon. I was just looking for some insight, helpful hints or pitfalls to look out for while doing the work. Also what other parts will I need besides the balljoints to finish the job.

I would love to change out the hubs right now but money needs to be used elsewhere on this truck first. I want to get all the detail and maintenance crap working then start doing upgrades. If something such as say a hub needed to be repaired I would definitely convert to manual hubs at that time.

I fortunately have a well equipped shop with a lift to use for this job. And I have a balljoint press. I have been trying to find a spindle puller but have had no luck so far in that area.

I suppose I ought to change out the wheel u-joints while I am in there as well. Which ones have ya'll used? Just looking for input.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
as far a front end parts go for moog. at work we use moog and the last and there greasable. if you need any help let me know i really dont feel like going threw the whole process i have put in almost a 60 work week.|sleepy

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U joints

I run Speicer or Perfect Circle [Greasable Only] U Joints.
As far as Spindle removal, I use a block of wood against the sides and tap with a 3-4 Lb hammer if that doesnt work a air chiesel with a flat blade between the spindle and dust shield works wonders.
Just do it easy on oposite sides
Also on reassebly Clean up and I use Antisieze on the mating surface and threads.
A little grease on the Spindle bearing is also a good idea.
Good Luck
John

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I started removing the drivers side knuckle at about 4 pm today. I tried getting a spindle puller yesterday with no luck. It is a bear to get that spindle off. But it did come off. I got the balljoints swapped out and would have had the drivers side back together but decided to replace all the seals while it's apart. I won't have them until tomorrow unfortunately. Was about 7 pm by then.

The good news is that this evening I found the spindle puller. At Autozone no less. They didn't even know what it was yesterday. Gave me the "Duh" blank stare when I asked about it. Now they have it on the shelf. So at least I will have it for the second one.

As far as the autolocking hubs they are really quite simple. No mysteries there. I am pleased with the progress so far. Except for the spinde it has all been very straightforward. Hopefully with the right tool that will be reduced to an acceptable level of effort.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting all the right seals proved to be a royal pain in the ass. I ended up getting them at the dealer today after trying all the usual sources. Even NAPA was unable to complete the order.

Putting it all back together went well. I had the OTC balljoint press and the spindel puller and slide hammer. Note to all. Get the spindle puller and slide hammer if you plan on doing this yourself. It makes things so much easier.

All in all it took about 8 hours to do the job. It would have been at least 2 1/2 hours quicker if I had the spindle puller from the start. Lesson learned. It wasn't too terrible and now that I have the tools I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now that you have the tools, hopefully you won't need to do it againLOL

how bad were the front u joints to replace? Curious in both effort and $$

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now that you have the tools, hopefully you won't need to do it againLOL

how bad were the front u joints to replace? Curious in both effort and $$

The reason I will have to do it again is because I didn't change out the u-joints. They were tight and fine. I may regret it later.

Getting the axles out to change the u-joints wouldn't be any fun due to the spindles being such a pain to remove. Other than that they shouldn't be any harder than a reuglar u-joint.