Cutting WMO with gas

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading old posts at at steel soldiers and A few guys were talking about cutting their wmo with 25% gasoline. What do you guys think? good idea?

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For diesel to combust the temp needs to be around 942 degrees. Where did you find it state that 450 degrees combustion???? Thats just not true at all. Read Rudolf Diesels book on it.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall, I went aherd and deleted that part cause you are correct, I should have looked it up first, I guess you cant really believe everything you read :)

So the new ques is just gas+wmo, makes sense or exposion.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Some European manufacturers used to reccomend up to 30% gasoline mixed in with diesel for winter operation.
Up in the great white north we used to regularly dump 5 gal of gas in each tank on the big trucks when it got down to real cold out.

For thinning out WMO, I don't see how it would be a problem. It's not like you'd be running into pump lubrication issues.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I use a 50/50 mix of 87octane and WMO....but I have also used straight #2 and straight 87 octane before with no problems.....

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think for our trucks you would want to use a lot less than 25% gas, I had put some SAE 30 and gear oil in my tank and it was too thick to run it. It only took about 1.5 gallons of gas to thin almost 4 to 5 gallons or SAE 30 and 80-90 gear oil (which have the same pour point). After this tank I'm going to try 5-10 percent gas with WMO. I think that should do it. But I was wondering the same thing because if you can thin it with a lot less gas it will be even cheaper to run.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure our owners manual states that we "can" run as much as 25% gasoline in our mix without any problem. Since I can'y find my diesel suplament I can't conferm this. I personally wouldn't do it unless I was on the dark side of the moon and needed to get home. The burning up a good $500.00 injection pump is not worth it to me.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I was to dump around 6-8 gallons of gas into a 50 gallon drum of filtered WMO I would be safe to run or Should I stick with diesel to thin it out. Just curious because its a pain to start somedays when the rear tank is getting low because of the oil and diesel mix when i switch tanks on start up and shutdown.:confused:

bigbaddiesel37

Reaction score
I run a wmo mix of 4 gal. oil,5 gal k1 kero,1 gal 87oct. gas, 4 oz. marvel mystery oil, 14oz. cleandiesel additive( grey bottle) mix well in a drum and then thru 3 whole house water type filters (10 micron) as it pumps into the tank. costs less and runs good. I have run over 300 gallons with no problems just need to keep tabs on fuel filter changes to around 5000 miles. 1991 f250 7.3L idi

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read my signature.....now I wouldn't advise it for the Tinny trucks....
freight-
in order to avoid cocktail confusion, you might want to preface which motor is being fed the cocktail. those Continental motors are trully a engineering wonder due to the fact there's no computer chips helping it along. but considering that the post is in the IH IDI section and not in the biofuel etc. section, you're going to create panic:eek:

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, will any please send me enough information so a first timer like me can build a device to convert used oil to something I can put in my tank and burn, regardless of mix ratio. I would sure appricate it. I am waiting for my tax $$, and I have decided to go ahead and build a system. I just can't afford not to with gas at $4.71 a gallon here in Boise, Idaho
Marq

[email protected]

Thank you

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I hear it, you dont need to build anything. Just filter the junk out of it and dump it 50/50 mix. AM I RIGHT

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went to tractor supply and bought a house water filter system (about $25) and got a 5 micron water filter. I also got a dual oil filter from summit with two ph5 oil filters. I first push the oil through the dual oil filters then through the water filter then to a clean plastic 55 gallon drum. From there I pump it right into my front tank. I put diesel in my rear tank. So far the only problem I had is making sure I switch back to my rear tank to get the diesel in the ip and injectors before I shut it down for all night. If it sits only a couple hours afte running its fine starting on 100% oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online