custom electrical help

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I have had an issue with the ignition lock cylinder for some time - the key broke off and I couldn't get it out. I tried all the tricks online of how to replace the lock cylinder but it wouldn't work, and I even took it to quite a few mechanics who couldn't get it, so I have been using a screwdriver to turn it. I also cannot find a new steering column for a diesel, tilt wheel, automatic, cruise control, etc. So what I want to do is add an overhead console that contains switches for on, glow plugs, start, and high idle. I would also like to have a generic on/off key switch mounted in dash so no one could just get in my truck and start it without a key.

This is a link to the type of switch I want to put in - they can laser etch any lit emblem into it: http://www.otrattw.net/CONTURA-V-ENGINE-START-LOWER-LED-INDEPENDENT-V1D1JWWB-PZCSE-500.html there is also a wiring diagram on the page.

my understanding so far is that there are a group of wires that lead to the master lock cylinder. when the key is turned certain wires power certain things depending on the position of the key. what I need help with is which wires go to which switches, where they go on the switches, when the switch is flipped will the wire be powered or simply grounded to complete the circuit, do I need to add any fuses or relays or are the wires already protected, can I daisy chain the powers and grounds for the switches, etc. Basically, what is the best way to wire this?

I don't know a lot about wiring or the master lock cylinder so I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can turn the ignition on, then you should be able to push the ball under the lock cylinder up and pull the lock cylinder out. If not you can drill the ball out to get the cylinder out. As far as cobbling it together....your on your own there, never tried.

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
We already drilled the old key and the ball out. We believe the lock cylinder is jamed to the column. I can take a cold chisel and a shop hammer to it but this just gives me a good excuse to do the conversion to switches which i have been wanting to do for some time.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Columns are somewhat tough to come by. I have an auto column but it is not tilt I don't think. As far as the cruise, I think you just swap the harness. If you are interested, let me know. I eventually found a replacement for mine on eBay. Somebody had put the wrong column in and deleted the tilt cruise. It's a manual column though.

As to your original question, I would do a 12V buss to supply the switches and send power from the switch to the "thing" it is powering so long as it is a small enough draw to not need a relay. Most things ground to the chassis so wiring it backwards wouldn't make much sense. As for the wire colors locations etc. a good wire diagram will help you with that more than I can. There are a few on here that people have posted. In general if you were going to go that route, I'd use the key switch to provide power to your switch panel then just wire it up with a starter button. Probably want to go with manual GP's too if you are going to split all that out. You could keep the controller but remember, the controller cycles on power on from the key. If you take the power off of it and then power it back on, it will cycle again.

Hope that helps.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, if it's the truck in sig its a 92. Mine is a 90. No help there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online