custom downpipe

Chubbs090

Diesel-holic
Reaction score
I was wondering since im broke and dont have $500 to shell out for a new elbow and downpipe, would it be possible to pull the elbow off the turbo, make a copy of the flange out of 1/4 steel and weld a 3 1/2 turbo downpipe flange on it and have a custom downpipe made for it? :confused:

Would this come to close to the turbine wheel?
How much would it lower my egt's?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its possible, the wastgate is in the elbow so you would have to either machine a hole for that or weld the bypass hole shut and use an external w/g. If you can afford the downtime on the truck go for it, I've thought about doing it myself except I'd use 4".

Chubbs090

Diesel-holic
Reaction score
wastegate what is this wastegate you speak of it got a bolt put in the tube within a week of throwin the turbo on, if i take if off would the plate just cover up the bypass hole?

Last edited:

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
the wastegate opens up and allows exhaust gases to bypass the turbo and flow out of the truck. It is used on turbos that are smaller than what the motor normally would use so that boost comes on at a lower rpm. If you do away with it, there's a possibility of overspeeding the turbo (which probably won't happen with a stock IP), overboosting the motor or pumping superheated air into your engine (which basically will hurt performance).

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he was joking about the wastegate. I think he already has the reference line plugged that goes to the wastegate.

Last edited: