curious about the dps pumps

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
I just put on an almost new/rebuild stock na pump that came off my $400 parts truck but turned it up exactly 1/2 turn. it combination with my tymar intake and straight pipe i'm seeing 13 psi at about 80 mph am I about maxed out on power unless I upgrade or should I turn up the pump more. Also it has the non-wastegated ats snailshell turbo. my gauge may be off by 1-2 psi it's hard to read because it's a 50lb gauge.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...I'm a little surprised the old snailshell will boost that much. Seems most people max out at around 7-10 before they run out of EGT. Travis is right that you still should have room but that's only if you really trust that pyrometer and of course the pyro is preturbo and close to the exhaust manifold. ATS used to recommend no higher than 1150(or was it 1050/) at their location. Aluminum turns to goo at 1250*F but of course you have the piston cooling jets trying to keep the piston cooler than that. Personally I would want a little fudge factor. Those EGTs will go up when you have a load or a trailer behind you or if you go up a grade.

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
It does hit 12-13 range in 4 and 5th gears I'm more worried about gasket failure than anything else. Its got around 20k on a full rebuild. If I turn it up more I'm probablly gonna run more boost right?

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
It does hit 12-13 range in 4 and 5th gears I'm more worried about gasket failure than anything else. Its got around 20k on a full rebuild. If I turn it up more I'm probablly gonna run more boost right?

Correct. 13 PSI is safe, and supposedly 17 is the max for an IDI. Honestly, 13psi is enough for a non-IC'ed truck, but the added fuel may be of benefit, as well 1 or 2 more psi in boost, which won't help too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online

No members online now.