Cummins 12V in a 1986 F-250...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's a nice truck he built on the cheap! I wish he woulda figured out the speedo though! :rotflmao

I haven't yet taken time to have a look at the article in question, so what I say may be off base a little.

I puzzled and worried and sat up nights, wondering just how I was going to make the Dodge speedo-sender mate up with my cable-driven Ford speedometer.

There was a speedometer change after the first year of the Dodge/Cummins, the first ones being cable-driven and the later ones having an electronic sensor connected to the speedometer drive.

The later ones until 1994 still got the signal at the transmission or transfer-case.

I don't know this for absolute certain, but having several of both types in the yard, I am almost 100% certain that all that needs be done to convert the electronic units to cable-drive is to un-screw the electronic gizmo and screw on the cable.

The 1989 set-up that I used came factory-equipped with cable-drive, plus I got the Dodge cable.

Still yet, the Dodge speedometer end would not mate to my Ford speedometer.

So, at the easiest location underneath the truck, I clipped in two both the Ford and the Dodge cables.

I trimmed back about three inches of the outer covering from both.

I slid a "sleeve" of close-fitting clear braided hose, 1/2"-I.D. ??I THINK??, long enough to cover the un-covered portions of cable, plus about three-inches of lap at each side.

I pumped as much Kendall L-427 Super-Blu grease into the clear hose as I could manage.

I used a bare 12-AWG BUTT-connecter and crimped and soldered the two cables together.

I then slid the clear braided hose into place and clamped it with plain old hose-clamps.

My speedometer has since performed flawlessly for several years and both the speed and distance travelled are accurate within half-a-percent.

Last edited:

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 90 Sterling is sitting under a 95 Ram 2500.. the VSS wires were a direct plug in and all was functional, if memory serves.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
MR- Do you happen to know what years came with the cable? Also, were the OD trannies ever offered with the cable driven? Don't know jack about Dodge part interchangeability or what year trucks had what.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MR- Do you happen to know what years came with the cable? Also, were the OD trannies ever offered with the cable driven? Don't know jack about Dodge part interchangeability or what year trucks had what.

Both the 1989s and 1990s I have are good old-timey cable-drive.

The 1991s to 1993s have what looks exactly like the screw-on adapter that the earlier trucks have; except, instead of a cable being screwed onto it, there is an electronic gizmo with wires that go to the dash unit.

I cannot say for certain, but I am almost sure that a plain old cable could be attached where that electronic mess is at. :dunno

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online