Cruise control

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much work is it to install cruise control into a bullnose? My 86 4x4 is down and out for now and will most likely end up just a 4x4 rig when done so I have been removing some of the fancier options it has being the XLT lariat and installing them into my 86 2wd XL. Since both trucks are 86's and 4 speeds it should be a pretty straight forward swap right?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's simple on paper, but if its anything like the 87-91, the cruise control is part of the dash harness so it's not just a simple "bolt" in deal, I don't know 100% yet, but the 92-97 have a self contained cruise module that you just send power, ground, button inputs from steering wheel, brake inputs, and vehicle speed input and it should work, I'm doing this to mine soon.

The other option is to swap out the dash harness or complete dash, I'm guessing being xlt, it will have power doors and windows which you don't need for a trail rig, it should be all plug and play this way, just a bit more work transferring from truck to truck, its not hard, just takes time.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears pretty involved. You have to install a vacuum dump valve on the brake pedal, hook into the dash harness for steering wheel pickups and the clutch sensor, install the servo unit in the engine compartment hooking it up to vacuum, the dash harness, and the IP, hook the amplifier unit under the dash to the harness, and install the speed sensour in either the end or the middle of the speedo cable (your choice).

That being said, I believe that except for the dash harness, it's pretty modular, as in, it SHOULD be an add-ON, not an add-IN if you know what I mean LOL

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it will be a job when I do the cab swap this summer. No sense installing it just to do it again in a few months. Thanks for the info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online