Crazy Idea

Knight_3000

Reaction score
I have a Crazy Idea and I am wondering about how to make it work

I want to take my IDI 7.3 and Install a Air intake heater Into it similar to what is used for the 99+ PSD

Either that or direct me to an aftermarket grid heater that I can install on my 88 F250

Knight_3000

Reaction score
Read my other thread...."1988 F250 needs help" There are a few updates in there as to WHY I want to do this....

Uncle Mater

Reaction score
I was going to take 4 intake heaters from a tracker. They are small and do not restrict the flow like the grids do. I remember them going for about 17 bucks each. The only time consuming thing would be to take the intake housing out to drill and tap for the heaters.

Knight_3000

Reaction score
Go here for the GP controller. http://www.oilburners.net/brian/idi/FordGPretrocombo.htm

Took me 45 minutes to read your " 1988 F250 needs help" :mad:

Go to the IDI tech articles, lots of info there, some on the D60

:rotflmao Sorry bout that, Bet it was some interesting reading....:D

Also I have looked at that link you posted, I already have the solid state system(It is an 88 with the 7.3 and the funky lookin box bolted to the back of the Intake) so attempting to retrofit to something I already have is kinda Pointless LOL

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about it, the coils I found from an old drier werent working so I've given it a break. With the amount of metal in the way that will cool the heated air back down... you'll need some beefy batteries to handle heated air AND turnin the motor.

Basically glow plugs should be enough to get it running, otherwise the motors tired is what ive learned. newer rigs dont really need the air heater except to clean up the smoke some(emissions)