Crappy shifting 1993 4x4 auto/swap info

Biggz

Reaction score
Okay guys so I swore and be damned that I would fix my 1991 and drive it again, but I found a 1993 4x4 auto with a ATS turbo kit on it. Now for the bad I test drove it around the block and the transmission shifted kinda hard, the salesman said it had a shift-kit, understandable if you saw the kind of condition the truck was in and how clean and maintained the engine was. So I ended up giving the lot a beat up ass 2002 toyota corolla and 500 cash. But when i went to drive it home the trans would start out in what feels like second gear and when i pinched it it will downshoft first for a moment then with 2 seconds go from second to third. It wont go into overdrive cause at lik 55 this thing is humming along at 2300 rpm. The whole time all this is happening the damn OD off light is blinging in my face. But cruise control still works fine. Now for the questions:

1. any ideas as to where to go from here

2. My 1991 is a 4x4 with a ZF 5 speed and 4.10 gears, will the transmission and t-case bolt up to my 1993 as long as i use the flywheel and all that stuff.

3. Will the driveshafts swap over from truck to truck

4. Are the electrical plugins the same trans. wise from truck to truck

5. Is there a way to retain the cruise control when swapping in the manual

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2. The Zf-5 will bolt right up to your new truck, you could even keep the new trucks existing t- case. You would just swap everything from the flywheel on your old truck, back.
3. The driveshafts will swap as long as they are both regular cabs.
4. The electrical shouldn't be plug and play, you will have to splice wires to swap the plugs to work with the zf-5.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
If you are not dead set on swapping in the hand shaker, you maight want to check out the throttle position senson on the IP. This could cause the eratic shifting. If you can find an used one cheap at the boneyard, it might save the time and hassle of the swap. On the other hand I dont blame you for wanting to drop a 5-speed in, I don't like automatics much myself.

Biggz

Reaction score
Never even crossed my mind about the pedal assembly so my 1991 wont work at all. Not even with modification. Anytime i can use a grinder and a welder is a good time to me. Hell if anyone wants to do the swap for they can have all the extra stuff including the whole 1991 truck minus the stuff i need and my 34" swampers. The 1991 runs just needs a starter and some IP adjustment. I just really want the zf in my turbo truck and i just went back to college.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The auto may work if you clean all the connectors and as said the fipl and the tach sensor tells the trans what to do.