Crap!!!!! I broke my socket!!!!

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because my drivers side axle has LH threads!!!!! Arrrrrrgh!!!! Is this normal?

I got some Weld super singles for my truck and now I need to scour the earth for lug nuts. This sucks!!! :mad: cookoo :mad: cookoo :mad: -cuss -cuss I want to put on my wheels!!!!

Why?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you ever seen this? I have a 10.25 I think. is it hard to change the studs? How do I do it. This is so crappy cause I am about to go to hatteras to to drive on the beach on thurs and I bought these rims and tires so I wouldnt have to ride on my pizza cutters.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New development... I have to pull my axle out to get my drum off. What does this mean? I am just trying to find out what kind of rear end I have so I can get some lug studs.

Another update... Looks like my plans are foiled. I need some kind of huge socket to get my drum assembly off. It seems like it floats on a spindle similar to the 4wd front axle... I wonder if a 4wd hub socket will work? I had never pulled a floating axle out, I was impressed by its size. It had some rust on it which seems odd.

Ideas?

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I think You talk about the 4 pin socket to remove the axle shaft lock nut. You can get it at any advance auto parts.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
New development... I have to pull my axle out to get my drum off. What does this mean? I am just trying to find out what kind of rear end I have so I can get some lug studs.

Another update... Looks like my plans are foiled. I need some kind of huge socket to get my drum assembly off. It seems like it floats on a spindle similar to the 4wd front axle... I wonder if a 4wd hub socket will work? I had never pulled a floating axle out, I was impressed by its size. It had some rust on it which seems odd.

Ideas?

Some use a socket with four pins on it. I have heard you can rent/borrow them from Autozone or Advance. Where are you located, maybe someone close to you has one.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, you have a Dana 70. They switched from the 70 to the 10.25" midway through the 1985 model year.

Second, for '83 and '84 trucks, left-hand threads on the driver's side rear wheel is normal. It was believed at one point that right-hand-thread lugnuts on the driver's side of the vehicle would back off as a result of centrifugal force when the wheel was spinning fast (i.e. traveling on the freeway). This was actually fairly common practice up until then; many vehicles had left-hand threads on both driver's side wheels...I think the backing-off theory was debunked somewhere in this timeframe.

I'm surprised that Ford only put left-hand threads on the rear wheel, but that's how it's supposed to be...my truck and my old '84 E-350 are like this as well.

No idea with the brakes, sorry :( but, the axleshaft needing to come out to pull the drum is normal for a Dana 70.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I found lug nuts to fit from summit racing but I wont get them in time for the beach driving so oh well. I am sore today from taking off and back on 32 lugnuts on studs that never seemed to have an end. Good learning experience tho. Funny thing is I remember using the "L" stamped into the stud to see if the stud was spinning when I couldnt get the lugnut off. dang :)

Thanks for the quick advice guys!!!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was one of the first mods I did to my Dana 70 back in 83'. When I bought my wheels, they did not use the cone shaped lug nuts, so I swapped the studs out for right handers. Basically our axles use lug centered wheels instead of hub centered like the new ones, and this is why they went with left hand threads and conical nuts. Yes, you do have to pull the axle. That's the major drawback of the Dana 70. Makes brake work a pain. Once you get the drum off though, it's just a matter of hammering out the old ones. Don't try to hammer the new ones in, just use the lug nut to draw them through and make them tight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online