Cracked Cylinder? OK to drive?

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gang! Quick question on here.

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, after I bought my last one (which is the third IDI I've now owned, the second one currently occupying space on my property) which needs a transmission, I think I have a good direction there. I found a reman out of Seattle that will bolt in and alleviate any question marks on that truck.

But why stop there. I found another truck I've got my eye on. It's an 88, 7.3 with Banks turbo, ZF5, rebuilt heads and turbo and a new clutch. The only problem is "Cylinder 4 is cracked" and there's either water in the oil or oil in the water (I can't remember which he said on the phone). He had it towed home and now wants out of it.

Enter...me.

I've got a spare 7.3 sitting in my shop ready to go (I was planning on dropping it in my 49 F1, but that can wait) so I'm good to go there. But I need to get the truck home. I COULD tow it, but that's a lot more logistics.

So...what's the hivemind say. Do you think a truck with a cracked cylinder (I wonder if he means cavitated? Cracked is what the diesel shop told him) could drive from Seattle to Montana (550miles, 3 mountain passes)?

And yes...if I do engage in this craziness, you can believe that I'll document the journey. :)

Thanks team!

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If water in the oil, you don't want to drive it. Will heat up and pressurize more water in the oil & mess up bearings. Hopefully #4 was determined by pulling glow plugs and it pumped water. May be a cracked head.
Otherwise may also be an oil cooler leak and didn't want to mess with it anymore.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I agree with riphip. I don't think that I'd bother taking the chance. I'd be afraid that it wouldn't come close to making the whole 550 miles. Besides, you have no idea how long it's been driven like this. It could be on the verge of failure right now. I'd just plan on towing it.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, sounds like a good plan. I'll see if he moves on price at all and start packing for the journey

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're already making the trip; trailer it. If it is something you could use, why trash it worse trying to drive back?

I've done all those passes more times than I could add up between service trucks and my IDI, and I personally wouldn't mess with a mystery rig breaking down on that trip. (Also, pretty much lived at the Travelodge on Main in Kalispell and spent nights at Moose's or Bias Brewing working there a couple years ago).

If you make the trip and have any issues in my neck of the woods, I'm around with tools, cold beer and space to park.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online