Cowl Drain Rubber Seal

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya they flex out when the cab moves and will cause a wet floor. this is what was causing the issue for me, but the cab split in that area. lmc sells the right seal for ya

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
LH and RH part numbers differ for Fords FYI

I'll see once this **** cold snap ends and SHOW you whats what on these trucks I've got a brick nose and OBS and we will know for certain...K!!!!!

BTW first letter is decade and second letter is year so your old brick nose being a F0 is a 90 the part you got being F7 is 97 just thought you should know that and it's likely a completely different beast. and IIRC ending in EVEN #'s means passenger side and ODD #'s is driver side...so yours ending in 50 would be passnger and odd # should indicate drivers...

If you are that hung up for a freakin cowl cover make one silicon and rubber from an innertube or go to pick a part or or or or ...what ever it takes ...

So you have a 97 part for a what ever...

JM2CW

I knew about the driver and passenger side and it being for a 97. If you look earlier in the thread, it was posted that they dont think the bricknose all have one on that side but the obs does and should be the same style and the part numbers were posted for me to order. Which in fact I did order the part number listed.

The problem is that OBS and Bricknose cowl seals are in fact different. In hind sight I should have just took the part number off of my passenger one, and as you posted used that to just order the same thing with the driver's side ending number. BUT I didn't see the number since it was covered by that stripping and tons of grime. My fault on that :(

Also yes you are correct I could just do that, but it is just really important to me to only have factory parts for this type of deal, especially on this truck. I am trying my best to keep this factory original and I am going to fully restore this truck here soon so that is the reasoning behind that. Unfortunately, since it is a much older truck, most wouldn't waste the time on it and thats ok. If I had a high mileage one which I do plan to get to mod, then I would do just that and be done.

But this one is kind of special to me so this is why im doing it this way.

ya they flex out when the cab moves and will cause a wet floor. this is what was causing the issue for me, but the cab split in that area. lmc sells the right seal for ya

Do you have a LMC part number for it? Or just saw it there.

Also what is the reason it causes a wet floor? I've been trying to find this out from the beginning but how does it get in the cab from there? There are openings right in the middle next to these seal locations for the wiper linkage that water can get in so I feel like water can still reach the general area anyways. Can you shed any light on all this?

Thanks

kawamatt

Reaction score
The thing you are missing is that the numbers molded into the parts are not part numbers. They are engineering numbers, which you cannot use to order replacement parts. Without going to Ford and specifically asking for a drivers side cowl plug for a 96'-97' F250-350, or finding someone with a Ford light duty truck parts book from 96 or 97, you won't be able to figure out the actual part number for the part that you desire.

Those numbers I posted earlier were only guesses based on the rough group number (15020A50) but the front 4 numbers and the last letter or number will likely be different. I have the Ford light duty parts manual for 95' but it doesn't list this part in the cab.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually what happens is there is a buildup of leaves and debris that gets lodged down in the bottom of the cowl. You cannot see it in those pictures but there is a rubber duck bill seal that drains out the cowl between the lower rear edge of fender and cab. its up above the plastic inner fender and NIGH impossible to get to.

If that gets plugged and holds water it will create a rust spot where eventually water can enter the cab.

Another reason cabs get water is a bad windshield seal. It can run down the seal and inside behind the dash.

Any point there is a seal or seam is a point that a leak can occur

JM2CW

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, mine was packed full. I dont' know that you could get to it to clean it out with the fenders on. It's that burried in there.

kawamatt

Reaction score
The Ford P/N for the passenger side rubber plug is E0TZ-10020A50-A. Fords habits would lead me to believe the drivers (left) side plug would then be E0TZ-10020A51-A. This number doesn't come back with anything though.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, mine was packed full. I dont' know that you could get to it to clean it out with the fenders on. It's that burried in there.

Yeah I tried looking for that the other night but I also don't know what to be looking for. I guess I am going to have to pull a fender to get to it?

The Ford P/N for the passenger side rubber plug is E0TZ-10020A50-A. Fords habits would lead me to believe the drivers (left) side plug would then be E0TZ-10020A51-A. This number doesn't come back with anything though.

Matt you are correct. When I talked to my guy about it he said that it won't come back with anything because it is a discontinued part. But there is an obsolete supplier out of WI that he can get oem ones from for a premium. I am still waiting to talk to him tomorrow about a way to get this for most people easily if they are interested or at least want to have the option instead of going through LMC. Mine wasn't sealed from the factory on the driver's side but I figure if the passenger side has one, and they put both in on the OBS trucks, then mine needs to have it too.

But I don't expect everyone to feel the same way. This is just what works best for me and this particular truck.

Good for you Cowboy, That's just how I feel about my 84 Ford pick up that I am restoring. Dan

Thanks man it is appreciated. I am trying to keep these old trucks alive even if I am young. (My truck came to life the same year as me just a few months before LOL)

kawamatt

Reaction score
Mine wasn't sealed from the factory on the driver's side but I figure if the passenger side has one, and they put both in on the OBS trucks, then mine needs to have it too.

In my estimation, the reason for the plug on the passenger side is to help keep water out of the fresh air inlet for the HVAC system. Right below the plug is the fresh air inlet. If water was to drip through the cowl cover and straight down, it could go right into the fresh air inlet and fill up the ducting under the dash or the blower housing. There is no plugs on the other holes towards the center of the cowl because water would drip onto the cowl bottom and just roll down the side to the lower drains at the rear of the fenders.

That said, I can't explain why Ford decided to put a plug on the drivers side for some of the last years of this body styles. It makes no sense. There is nothing below this hole in the cowl on the drivers side, unlike the HVAC fresh air inlet on the passenger side. Wonder if it could be for right hand drive trucks which would have had the HVAC box on the drivers side. Maybe Aussie specific?

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
In my estimation, the reason for the plug on the passenger side is to help keep water out of the fresh air inlet for the HVAC system. Right below the plug is the fresh air inlet. If water was to drip through the cowl cover and straight down, it could go right into the fresh air inlet and fill up the ducting under the dash or the blower housing. There is no plugs on the other holes towards the center of the cowl because water would drip onto the cowl bottom and just roll down the side to the lower drains at the rear of the fenders.

That said, I can't explain why Ford decided to put a plug on the drivers side for some of the last years of this body styles. It makes no sense. There is nothing below this hole in the cowl on the drivers side, unlike the HVAC fresh air inlet on the passenger side. Wonder if it could be for right hand drive trucks which would have had the HVAC box on the drivers side. Maybe Aussie specific?

:dunno

Probably one of those things we will never know but they did in fact make them for the driverside bricknose trucks at least at one point in time. Who knows, it might have just been one of those things that were done just because and not any true reason behind like they have been known to do.