Cowl Drain Rubber Seal

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Hey guys I just had a quick question. Finally got back to working on the truck and also have been installing windows in my garage to get some light and air flow in finally. So i've been back and forth on those, but with the high heat here in KY; it has slowed me down.

I was taking my cowl off and noticed on the passenger side, the cowl drain had a rubber seal on the top of it, but yet the driver's side does not.

My truck is a non AC truck so is that the reason it is there? I assume it would be open just like the driver's side so I didn't know if it is even needed or if any others have had it set up like this? With my truck being low miles, maybe thats the reason why it has never been removed, of course im just thinking out loud I don't really know.

But just seeing if some of the veterans could shed some light on it.

Driver's side.

You must be registered for see images attach

Passenger's side.

You can see it in the picture, peeled back with the black cushion that ran over it.

Thanks

Last edited:

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
How come it needs to be sealed?

Sorry if I come off as a newb, still learning about these trucks, but I thought thats where water is supposed to drain down and out to. Or is the open center area used for that, and if these seals aren't on the side it will result in getting water in the inside of the truck?

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
I just didn't know if there was anymore of a specific answer as to why it is supposed to be seal. To me it looks like it just would flow down to the cowl drains, just like the other open area in the middle of the truck.

Or does it have to only go in the center section?

I guess I will go ahead and try and see if rockauto or someone has the seal unless someone has an extra on hand which I doubt.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know my passenger side had a cover on it. I don't remeber on the drivers side. Your right that any water that gets into the cowl area there should just drain out the drains on the sides of the cowl. If you can reach them maybe check that the drains aren't plugged up.

If you want to cover it you could just make a metal cover for it that keeps the big stuff out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many do you want? I scrap out I keep ***** like that all the time..ROFL..

Just glue down a piece of inner tube or not...choice is yers...

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
How many do you want? I scrap out I keep ***** like that all the time..ROFL..

Just glue down a piece of inner tube or not...choice is yers...

I just need the drivers side one.

I figure I will just put them back on with some grey rtv or whatever and be done with it. Of course it would still be nice to know why they need to be sealed. I could see them being needed to keep big debris out, but the cowl covers these holes anyways so anything big getting down there is slim to none anyways.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I'm not sure those holes are supposed to be drains at all. I have seen them filled with leaves and rust. Hence the seal from the factory.

The cowl usually drains down to the hood seal that is often missing from the old trucks because they harden and break. Once that is gone, water collects on top of the air cleaner housing and waits to get into the engine.

kawamatt

Reaction score
The drivers side only had a plug for 96-97 trucks. The engineering number is F6TB-15020A51-AA

The passenger side engineering number is F2TB-15020A50-AA

I don't have a parts manual for 96 light trucks so now way to figure out the actual part numbers.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong. Some searching has led to Ford P/N's of F2UZ-15020A51-A for the left (drivers) side and F2UZ-15020A50-A for the right (passenger) side. I guess it is pretty common for Ford to end left side parts in odd numbers.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...Maybe I'm wrong. Some searching has led to Ford P/N's of F2UZ-15020A51-A for the left (drivers) side and F2UZ-15020A50-A for the right (passenger) side. I guess it is pretty common for Ford to end left side parts in odd numbers.
Nope you are correct and Ford has been like this forever as far back as I can recall 60's anyway...it's what makes it simple when you are parts searching at a swap meet and checking things out!

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
The drivers side only had a plug for 96-97 trucks. The engineering number is F6TB-15020A51-AA

The passenger side engineering number is F2TB-15020A50-AA

I don't have a parts manual for 96 light trucks so now way to figure out the actual part numbers.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong. Some searching has led to Ford P/N's of F2UZ-15020A51-A for the left (drivers) side and F2UZ-15020A50-A for the right (passenger) side. I guess it is pretty common for Ford to end left side parts in odd numbers.

THANKS!

It was funny I was just about to post that LCAM-01XA and I had just figured out that my truck didn't come with a driver's side seal; which goes with exactly what you said.

I wonder why they waited until the last year of these trucks to even start doing it. By then they might as well not even worried about it for us lol.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Update to this guys.

Well I got good news and bad news.

Apparently bricknose trucks do indeed have different shape openings on the cowl then obs trucks do. It took me awhile to get around to doing this since it has been pretty cold and I didn't think to check when I got the seal in. But they are a totally different shape and will not work.

Thankfully I was able to scrape off all the glue and sealer to pull a part number off of the other side. I guess I just didn't notice it at first since it was covered with tons of grime.

Here's the one I bought. I don't know why the part number is shown different on here, I used the number of of this thread to order this.

OBS style vs Bricknose apparently.

Bricknose opening

The one that was still on my truck

Even the one I ordered didn't match the part number originally listed in the thread and is shown as F150. Can anyone confirm that the 1/2 ton's have the same cowl as 3/4 and 1 tons? I assume an obs truck will have the same cowl opening regardless if its a 150, 250, or 350.

I know this probably doesn't interest most people as they wouldn't care or take the time to mess with it. But for anyone who cares, I guess I will update when I figure something out.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LH and RH part numbers differ for Fords FYI

I'll see once this **** cold snap ends and SHOW you whats what on these trucks I've got a brick nose and OBS and we will know for certain...K!!!!!

BTW first letter is decade and second letter is year so your old brick nose being a F0 is a 90 the part you got being F7 is 97 just thought you should know that and it's likely a completely different beast. and IIRC ending in EVEN #'s means passenger side and ODD #'s is driver side...so yours ending in 50 would be passnger and odd # should indicate drivers...

If you are that hung up for a freakin cowl cover make one silicon and rubber from an innertube or go to pick a part or or or or ...what ever it takes ...

So you have a 97 part for a what ever...

JM2CW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online