Cowl Air?

pafixitman

Reaction score
I like that cowl mount - clean and neat, but my concern is water and debris. We all know how much trash gets into the drains. Seems to me that would direct pine needles and gallons of water into your filter.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I really don't get anything in there....just water I guess.

There will not be enough velocity to cause the water to be sucked into the filter with a factory turbo. It'll run out the holes in the bottom of the filter box, don't you think?

pafixitman

Reaction score
Mike,
I'm not sure what to think. When I had the banks cleaner, I would get up to 1 1/2" of water in the mounting hole. (Lost a bet to Mel last Easter over this)Fortunately for me, the gasket on the bolt held. That was a place under the hood and I still have the hood blanket! I guess we need Rob to chime in and tell us all of the details. For $68 (or better - Huff ya listening?) I would rather go that route than butcher my rad support. As mentioned earlier, my ultimate would be to relocate everything and go ricer tube.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I think most of the water will flow right out the cowl drain holes. Some will inevitably be sucked in, but I don't think it will be sucked up to the filter. I think my filter box even has a small hole in the bottom for a drain, and I may put one there.

As a very last resort, I find it unlikely that it will make it through the filter.

I think it is time to hear from Huff here. He outta get involved, because I'm ready to spend some money here, after we get some convincing on this.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
He's not a registered user.

I just sent him an email asking him to take a look at this thread and weigh in.

94Turbo

Reaction score
HOMEMADE COWL AIR

I been thinking about this for a while so after I saw this thread I had a few beers and grabed the grinder :eek: ;Sweet I used the factory turbo intake cut it (see pic) cut a hole in the cowl shoved it in sealed both sides with 3m 5200.The picture shows the stock plastic intake tube but it was to short got a alluminum 4 inch duct tube at lowes and 2 hose clamps 11.00 total cost for THE REDNECK COWL AIR

Attachments

• STOCK INTAKE.jpg
    STOCK INTAKE.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 37
  • COWL CUT.jpg
    COWL CUT.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 47
  • CLOSE UP.jpg
    CLOSE UP.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 42
  • INSIDE COWL.jpg
    INSIDE COWL.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 50
  • COWL AIR.jpg
    COWL AIR.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 58

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder what setup is better? Through the cowl your still sucking air through the factory perforations. But with a ram air through the radiator support you get a 4" or better hole to suck air through. What would flow more?

94Turbo

Reaction score
Ironman03R said:
I wonder what setup is better? Through the cowl your still sucking air through the factory perforations. But with a ram air through the radiator support you get a 4" or better hole to suck air through. What would flow more?

I took her out for a quick test flog tonight and noticed a difference in my EGT's and the turbo whine is more noticeable ;Sweet I'll take a better look on the ride to work and get some real numbers. My next project is an intercooler so I did the cowl air to save room for the IC plumbing.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now this idea I really like!! ;Sweet 94 Turbo - that looks surprisingly good LOL musta been the beer! :thumbsup: Really though looks as good as the hypermax setup. Hmm yah got me thinking I'm liking this better than hacking up the rad support too! Plus I wouldn't have to remove that big ole brush guard I got up there. I take it there is just a big cavity (void) up under the cowl where you shoved the plastic cowl in?

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
yeah, that is pretty cool. really nice, 94.
i'm interested, but i have to sat that i get a bunch of pine straw in there :mad: i wonder how much it'd help my N/A?

Eric, i think that last pic is looking down with the cowl removed.

94Turbo

Reaction score
Yea there is a lot more room in there than I thought and it was clean no leaves or anything the black gunk in the picture is the sealer ford used :rolleyes: I scraped that crap out sealed it with a bead of 5200 so the rain water could drain easier

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool 94! Do you have a pyro? I definately will be interested to see how much your temps go down with this! I think I just found a project for Saturday? Is there anything to worry about cutting in the firewall? Or is it pretty much a straight easy shot? Thanks for the idea!

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
i think i might try this with mine? i saw a mod one time to clean the cowl and seal it with undercoating, just got to remember to clean the drain holes!

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Is Huff a member over here? I haven't seen him post. I need to get ahold of him too...getting close to turbo time for the wife's truck.

Tom

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Good idea 94Turbo. I'd thought about doing something similiar by bending some sheetmetal at the house, but you beat me to it.

Don