Cowl Air?

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Kris K said:
Well this morning i went out, and got all the stuff to put cowl air on my truck. I desided to put duel cowl air on it. I got one side done and the holes cut for the other side before the lights went out in my shop (sun went down).

I have 4" flexable pipe with 4" square in lets.

I sure hope this helps some how?

Sounds good Kris! Let's see some pics.

SIKPUP

Reaction score
I have the Hypermax cowl inlet on my truck, when it was NA with 3 1/2 exhaust with a race bullet muffler and home made Y pipe. With the factory round filter housing and a K-N filter in it. The truck had a better responce than when it was stock ! Now turboed with the Banks sidewinder cone shaped K-N air filter in that plastic housing from Banks hooked up to the Hypermax cowl inlet, it worked OK, but was much more responsive with just the open filter ! Next I put on a 5 inch :D cowl hood with the back opened to the windshield on it, and left the Hypermax cowl inlet on it wide open, so I get real fresh air under hood. That runs really great now ! But not to leave well enough alone when I staight piped it (just removed bullet muffler) and piped in my RDT where the muffler was. No more smoke in the cab, sounds bad a$$ with whistle and exhaust, tows great,good power and I am very happy with my truck after having it since new in 93. It should be painted this spring , got alluminum dually rims to go on when I get tires. ;Sweet

Mike :D

SIKPUP

Reaction score
:D I want to make a double cone filtered intake pipe coming from the back opening of the hood !

Attachments

• Truck 1.jpg
    Truck 1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 25

Exekiel69

Reaction score
SIKPUP said:
:D I want to make a double cone filtered intake pipe coming from the back opening of the hood !
Very nice ;Sweet , some day I might get one of those hoods.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the duel cowl air I put on over the weekend.

It looks like crap with the foam but I cut the holes to big.

I have notice it's alot louder but has better throttle responce.

Attachments

• MVC-689S.JPG
    MVC-689S.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 60

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stever8761 said:
How much louder? At Idle? Launch? Cruisin?

At Idle it's about the same.

It's the loudest when launching.

Cruising it's a little louder but not much.

stever8761

Reaction score
Do you think there is enough room (after cutting the holes) to get some sound deadener in the cowl? Think I would help any? The launching would be okay - being new to a diesel I'm surprised how quite the truck is while cruisin. I guess I'll have to get the radio fixed so that I can turn it up a little louder! LOL

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stever8761 said:
Do you think there is enough room (after cutting the holes) to get some sound deadener in the cowl? Think I would help any? The launching would be okay - being new to a diesel I'm surprised how quite the truck is while cruisin. I guess I'll have to get the radio fixed so that I can turn it up a little louder! LOL

I don't know what you would use as a sound deadener. I guess it is pretty loud at cruise 60-65 mph. But not much.

I sure can tell a diffrence when getting up to speed seems to get there quiker. I'll see if it helps with towing this weekend. I need to haul my crawler to the shop. One 6% grade for about 3 miles.

Kris K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this weekend I pulled my rockcrawler on a 16" tandam axle trailer probably around 6000 LBS. From what I can remember last time I could only get to about 55 mph going up a 3 mile 5-6% grade. Since I put the cowl air on I was able to maintain 60 mph. Also it didn;t get as warm as it used to. it never got past the middle of the gauge, when before it would get almost past the L on normal. Also it didn;t puff as much black smoke. So all in all i'm really happy.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas on doing a dual cowl air on a factory turbo? What about cowl air plus the stock snorkle?

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Kris K said:
Well this weekend I pulled my rockcrawler on a 16" tandam axle trailer probably around 6000 LBS. From what I can remember last time I could only get to about 55 mph going up a 3 mile 5-6% grade. Since I put the cowl air on I was able to maintain 60 mph. Also it didn;t get as warm as it used to. it never got past the middle of the gauge, when before it would get almost past the L on normal. Also it didn;t puff as much black smoke. So all in all i'm really happy.

This really sounds a little extreme for this modification. I am curious if you are really comparing apples to apples here. I would expect no power increase, maybe cooler EGT's by some amount, and mainly a cleaner air filter. Did anyone else notice such a marked difference?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online