Counteract or Dyna balancing beads?

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. They work. It is counterproductve wo what people think about adding wheel weights to a tire. You can accomplish the same thing with air soft bbs in the tires. In my 33s, I have 4.2 oz of them and it makes a world of difference. I think deeproots or cpt tom just got a set for his ride. The best thing about going with airsoft bbs is that you can balance all 5 (spare of course) of your tires for under $20 bux and it keeps the balance as the tires wear, negating the need for a later balance.

SWS

Guilty,guiltyguilty.... they're still sitting in the box in my back seat!

I'll letcha know what happens, we'll see when we get em on first! :rolleyes:

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoooooookaaaay, so here it is.

Feeling guilty, I went home early yesterday to squeeze in a quick install before kids sporting event.

I bought the set for 1990 F250, no problem, they sent, received in record time.

Jacked up truck pass. side front, removed tire and as instructed by the little install paper, either "A" or "B" will fit so long as they're both "A" or "B" on the same axle.... no problem.

"B" seemed to fit best, needed the supplied shim, although it was supposed to be for dually's( I think???). I had to shim the hub because bead holder was rubbing on brake housing just ever so slightly., wheel back on, spun by hand, no chafing.

Drivers wheel, same thing.

Test drive out the driveway, right hand turn, I hear a sound, a rubbing sound. ***??????

Turned around, pass side wheel sounded like it was rubbing.

Jacked it back up.....!#$%#&#%$@@#%&&%~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MF'r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bead holder rubbed into the brake housing and ripped a hole right through it!!!

Drivers side, no problem.

Seems the rivets on the inside of the wheel rim pushed the plate into the brake assy. The Centrimatic was also wedged into the wheel itself, had to lightly hammer out.

The drivers side seated perfectly, but pax side did not.

Yeeees, I checked to make sure they were coded the same, both were "B"'s.

Just for schnitz, I tried to install an "A", but it was immediately obvious it wouldn't work and why I used the "B"'s to begin with.

In order for these to have worked on my truck, I would have had to double shim them out, not something which excited me because it would've moved the rim off the tight fit on the hub.

There are rivet marks on the tire sides of both units from the rims. Why one seated but the other didn't, AND, tested good on the hand over spin I cannot answer.

Time ran out, but will have to do a little more looking into my brake calipers to see if they moved/move a lot. My cursory inspection didn't notice anything broken, other than I need to replace flexible brake lines on both sides, pads were at 50%- which should've given even more room between the caliper housing and Centrimatic.

The instructions stated the brake clips may need to be removed to make room.... yeah sure, ok..... but the clips were not at issue, it was the housing itself.

Totally my fault, appears there's more to this installation than the simplicity it suggests. Although I did see the rub initially, but I did shim it with supplied shims, and it worked perfectly on the drivers side.

Somehow the wheel rim rivets didn't seat into the soft exterior coating, but appears to have pushed the Centrimatic into the caliper housing.... but it didn't make contact on the hand test.

I'll play with them some more at a later date, but not near future. The Mercedes rear pax window is stuck down.... gotta fix that before neighbor cat whizzes in it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online