Counteract or Dyna balancing beads?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yeah. They work. It is counterproductve wo what people think about adding wheel weights to a tire. You can accomplish the same thing with air soft bbs in the tires. In my 33s, I have 4.2 oz of them and it makes a world of difference. I think deeproots or cpt tom just got a set for his ride. The best thing about going with airsoft bbs is that you can balance all 5 (spare of course) of your tires for under $20 bux and it keeps the balance as the tires wear, negating the need for a later balance.

SWS

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've know of people using sand as well. best part you can add more if you like to anytime, just take out valve stem and find a small funnel :rotflmao

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried several different types of balance beads and the sand stuff and was very disappointed in all of them. Most actually made the tire misbalance worse. I've given up on the idea and have been using good old wheel mounted weight for years.:dunno

Heath

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used them for motorcycle tires ( dynabeads) . too expensive for my truck tho. I used Antifreeze for years in the big trucks, but tried it in smaller tires with no avail ( just experimental mind you)

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i am running metal bbs in mine now i ran weights, bbs, and both at the same time.
now i got one bent rim up front at least the other may be slightly bent not sure.
now to results weights anything over 45 had a death wobble.
nothing at all gave me anything over 30 death wobble.
the bbs worked great up to 65 (didnt test higher).
but the bbs would cause some wobble when braking sometimes bad others you wouldnt notice.
then both works great no shimmy or wobble.
i am still running both and dont have issues.

now i will say the bent rim is way bent so bad i wouldnt expect it to even be usable and i got a new set lined up finally and will go through all this with non bent rims once i have them.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
my dually's tires are balanced with equal, which is a power that goes inside..... works great on that.

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can probably get away with it on a low speed truck tire, but the testing done by members of the long distance motorcycle riders group, the "Iron Butt Association" has shown that they don't do the job for high speeds in relatively light wheels. Hitting bumps and potholes shifts the beads. Adding weight to the center of the tread can also make a blowout much more spectacular, something to avoid on a bike. I will continue to use the conventional method of fixed lead weights.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can probably get away with it on a low speed truck tire, but the testing done by members of the long distance motorcycle riders group, the "Iron Butt Association" has shown that they don't do the job for high speeds in relatively light wheels. Hitting bumps and potholes shifts the beads. Adding weight to the center of the tread can also make a blowout much more spectacular, something to avoid on a bike. I will continue to use the conventional method of fixed lead weights.

I am am IBA member, I know MANY of us use these beads including several riders from past rallies. I use them exclusively on my FJR. I get more miles out of tires, far less cupping and a smoother ride from using them. I wont use wheel weights on a motorcycle every again.

Can you send me a link to the IBA testing of dyna beads?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I am not using metal BBs, but the airsoft BBs. I have 4.2 oz per tire, at 33" tires. Made a night and day difference in the way they ride. There is no snake oil at all with them. They work, and work well. Not only that, but I do not have to change my weights...ever. Don't get me wrong, its not a corvette with z rated tires, but with some of the suspension parts I am sure as old as the vehicle (84), it feels smooth as glass. I think the metal carries too much mass and that is what causes the imbalance when you hit pot holes. Some of the guys running tires larger than 33s have said the same thing though so I do not know. Just my .02.

SWS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx

Members online