Cost for a Reman ZF5

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always heard from friends that have ZF5's in their trucks, that its a solid $1500+ to replace

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ZF doesn't sell their parts cheap. It's not that the trans is complicated or very labor intensive to rebuild compaired to most manual transmissions......... expensive parts mean expensive reman's.

Most I've seen are in the neighborhood of $1500.

Heath

Last edited:

RedTruck

Reaction score
One of the local Ford dealers uses this place for their replacements:

Clicky

It's been a while since I've checked, but I believe they were something like $1700 w/o core.

Paul

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your dead set on a reman or rebuilt one you will be very lucky to find one for less than 13 to 15 hundred, but if you are willing to go used you might be able to find one for 4-5 hundred and up....I found a used one and took the chance a few yrs. ago and paid $375.00 from a guy who really didn't know what he had. Sometimes I still see used ones on craigslist for that...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my rebuilder usually hits me from $450-$1000 depending on the severity of parts needed. he's also rejected quite a few ZF5's due to the fact the internals were completely junk.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the used car dealer across the street from my work there is a 88 F450 standard cab and chassis 7.3 with a 5 speed 89,000 miles on the OD 900.00 I would buy it If I wasn't Broke.

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a quote from a guy here in Phoenix AZ, for $900 IF it needed a " master" rebuild.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does it need? So long as they are not run out of oil, not much to wear out other than sychros and bearings, and bearing rarely need to be replaced, but some have to when removed. I would find out what you actually need and go from there. I would just pull one from a junk yard. If it is full of oil, you should be fine.

dancrowley

danc01
Reaction score
I got all my ZF parts from ZUMBROTA and they were great to deal with. I also had Midwest transmission build a short throw shifter for my ZF. Dan

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If it was up to me years ago I would have installed a ZF5 speed by now... But I have a duaghter that can't shift a manual nor will the wifey shift any longer. I do not know how long a clutch and pressure plate would last if they both drove a standard trans. Seeing me under the rig replacing the clutch because "they" slipped it too much makes me angry just thinking about something that will never happen... Kinda funny thinking that way isn't it... So I'm a crabby old man whos set in his ways not willing to change... You younger members have no idea how hard it is to change.. But someday you will be where I am today... Get ready now is my advice....:angel:

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I embraced change a long time ago. Heck, I mix things up on purpose just so I DONT get set in my ways. Change is natural, and the stubbornness of old people made me not want to be like them.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
$900 sounds like a pretty good price for a rebuild to me. I had one gone through for about $750 8 years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online