Correct clutch?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Correct clutch.....or stupid previous owner trick of the day.....which is it?

I pulled my engine out today, and found what looks like a mis match of clutch parts.
It has a dual mass flywheel ( it hasn't given any noticable problems , all the springs look good , no noises ), but somebody put a luk clutch on it (11" ) but the clutch disk has springs in it.

Did someone put a clutch for a solid flywheel in there or is that what the Luk replacement looks like?

If it's the solid flywheel clutch, what if any detriment or benefit would there be to such an arrangement?
I just want to know if somebody did it intentionally for some kind of performance gain , or if it was just another PO screw up.cookoo

Thanks---------Robert

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had had both types with our daul mass Flywheel and I can't say that i noticed much difference in performance. The only thing I did notice is the clutch plate with out springs grabs quicker

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC the only LuK SMFW setup available now has a 12" clutch. Or, did they sell a 11" SMFW clutch setup in the past?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have had had both types with our daul mass Flywheel and I can't say that i noticed much difference in performance. The only thing I did notice is the clutch plate with out springs grabs quicker

Did you happen to notice if one or the other made takeoff under heavy load smoother , or was it about the same?

Thanks---------Robert