Corp 14 bolt under my F350....

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been throwing around the idea about putting a corp 14 botlt under my truck.... I am getting mixed opinions...but they're all just opintion..... Im looking to do a detroit locker and a disc brake converstion and 4.10 gears.... with the 14 bolt I can do everything I want to do for about the price of just the detroit for the 10.25..... I also like the fact that I can work on it like a "project" beings that my truck is my daily driver, so i can get everything set up perfect outside of the truck and just take a day to put the axle in..... I also like to do things that are different and that definately is.... I know I will loose about an inch of ground clearance but I know i can shave it to get that back....the up side is that I could also sell the sterling to make some of my money back;Sweet

any opinions........

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, provided your F350 is 92+, toss all of that out the window. 87-91, RABS will be gone, but that's no great loss...

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A hub-meter can take the place of the odometer, and is way more accurate and will never break.

A close scrutiny of engine RPM to speedometer readings, before the swap, will show you which RPM is a given speed.

Write these figures down; don't trust memory.

Also, an older style cable-drive speedometer can be used if you want to improvise a gear-head to drive it, possibly by a gear off the drive-shaft.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but your talking about a GM axle, are you not? If friends don't let friends drive Chevy's, what about using Chevy parts? LOL

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I know......but the sterling is soooooo expensive to modify and I have heard a lot of good things about the Corp 14 bolt.....Im on a college budget and I have access to a lot of GM parts so thats why I am considering it..... explain to me more about loosing my cruise and speedo.....I thought they were driven off the trans....

82fordtruck

Reaction score
It will cost you a lot more to keep that apeedo - and what you do will likely not be as reliable as what is there.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speed sensor

There is a speed sensor in the rear end of newer trucks that tells the speedo how fast you are going along with the anti lock and cruse control.
The older trucks ran a speedo cable to the trans. or transfer case.
I am not sure of the cut off T just bought a 1988 rear and it has a sensor and works in my 1993.
I have an 1987 F350 Dump and it has a cable.
John

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
explain to me more about loosing my cruise and speedo.....I thought they were driven off the trans....

'87-'91s have a speed sensor in the rear axle that is only used for the ABS, and use a cable driven speedo/odo from the transfer case or tranny tailshaft. '92-'96 trucks use the same rear speed sensor for ABS, but also does the cruse, speedo, odo, and E4OD shift strategy.

Adrianspeeder

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Adrian got it just right. It's on the top of the pumpkin. Ford was the only one that ever did this, so a swap is a no go. You don't have an automatic, so it'll just screw up your speedo and odometer.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A hub-meter can take the place of the odometer, and is way more accurate and will never break.
I'd love to hear more about this. I've seen hub-meters on buses and medium-duty trucks, but never imagined that one could be adapted to a pickup truck.

My odometer works, but I question its accuracy (I don't question the speedo's accuracy; I KNOW it's off LOL )...it'd be nice to have a backup...

Thanks!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to hear more about this. I've seen hub-meters on buses and medium-duty trucks, but never imagined that one could be adapted to a pickup truck.

My odometer works, but I question its accuracy (I don't question the speedo's accuracy; I KNOW it's off LOL )...it'd be nice to have a backup...

Thanks!

Go to a big truck parts house and ask to look at a VEEDEROOT catalog.

They have thousands of applications that can be adapted to work on our size trucks.

You pick the one you need according to the tire size that you run on the axle it will be mounted on.

You most likely won't find an application that says it will fit your specific truck; but, pick one that fits a vehicle with the same design of axle i.e.Dana 70, etc.

So long as tire size is correct, it is a very simple matter to make a mount, as they just mount between two of the floating-axle bolts.

I have tried, with no success, to find VEEDEROOT on the web.

There is another company that also makes them, MILEMARKER, I think, but not sure.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have searched that link to VEEDEROOT thoroughly and can find no mention of the hubometers I was talking about.

Is it possible that it is a different VEEDEROOT; or, possibly, they no longer manufacture hubometers??

Or, maybe, I cookoo am not bright enough to find them.