Cooper Tires

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
A while back (April 05') I mentioned that I saw the Cooper Discoverer STT on a truck and thought what a great looking tire it was LOOK HERE but the largest size made in a 16" was 285/75R16. Well now Cooper is making it in a LT315/75R16 but to my disappointment the 315 Coopers' measurements aren't much bigger then that of the LT295/75R16 BFG/AT's that I have on my truck now! Check this out.

Cooper STT- 315/75R16 - 33.47" tall, 11.92" wide, 3195# "D" rated
BFG/AT------295/75R16 - 33.20" tall, 11.50" wide, 3415# "D" rated
BFG/AT------315/75R16 - 34.60" tall, 12,20" wide, 3195# "D" rated

The BFG/AT's have a higher weight ratio per tire but the Coopers are more reasonably priced. I'm on my third set of BFG/AT's and have had pretty good luck with them although I never really got the mileage (tread life) I was hoping for and now I've decided I want a more aggressive tire. I figure the BFG/AT (295's) would cost me about $200 more then the Coopers and the BFG/AT (315's) about $250 more. I've never owned Cooper tires before and don't know what kind of tread life to expect, especially from a more aggressive tire. Has anyone out there ever owned this Cooper Discoverer STT or any other Coopers before? I know my fuel mileage will suffer a little with a bigger tire and a more aggressive thread but I drive my truck like a sports car anyway so fuel economy is not really an issue.

Y2KPSD

Doggy Daddy

Reaction score
I had an oportunity to drive a 6.5L Chev (4" lifted regular cab) with (as I recall) 12.50-35x16 (or was it 17?) and it had good road mannors for a Mud Terrain tire. Relaitvely quiet, smooth, was able to be balanced. I did not have the chance to try them where it would really count, but they impressed me enough to add then to my list of possibilities. I had been considering BFG Mud Terrains or Toyo M/T's (BIG $$$$!!) as a winter tire.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i had some cooper discovery AT's/305's on my superduty and mine were some dang good tires... for a larger more off road oriented tire as far as wear and balancing they preformed far better than the dunlops i had in a 305 size, they sucked ********... hope this helps, i have never delt with the cooper stt

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I've never had the coopers you asking about but I have run coopers in the past and liked them.

Been my experience over the years that when you get into the mud tread realm that you don't worry to much about life you worry more about can this tire go where I want to go or get me out of where I don't want to be. If your worried about how many miles you can get out of the tire then get a street tread as I call it.

MUDDY

Reaction score
ive had those cooper mud tires rebadged as a wildcat from les scwabbs. great in mud but wore out quickly

MUDDY

Reaction score
ok,,,,,,,,,,,,the [rebadged]cooper stt tires i had were 235/85/16s 10 ply and mounted on a lite weight 22re 92 toyota w/ 5.29s and arb a/l. at 18,000 miles i was ready for new treads. of course this rig was used offroad and 235 is skinnier but the rig is half the weight or less and less than 1/8th the tq. even the 315 will wear quickly on a hvy hi tq diesel. my recomendation is the toyo m-55 traction in a 285 10ply

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
MUDDY said:
ok. my recommendation is the toyo m-55 traction in a 285 10ply

I checked out the Toyo M-55 and they are indeed very nice tires. Now I'm even more confused :confused: then when I started. Nothing is ever simple! :frustrate They got very good customer reviews but those can be very subjective. Although they are a bit pricey they will probably last longer (tread life) then most other tires as they are commercial grade tires. The more research I do the more confused I get. I'm going to wait until after Christmas now anyway and let my brain rest.

Happy Holidays to everyone. :santa:

MUDDY

Reaction score
ive ran 7 sets of the m-55 [various sizes]on rigs ranging from a toyota and a couple jeeps, a halfton, a one ton and a couple 3/4 tons and perhaps forgeting a set or 2. theve been decent for me but the traction isnt as good in mud as something like the stt or bfg mud terrain. great in snow and the tire life and load carrying ability is great. a bit more $ but worth it.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
My old man had coopers on his 2002 F-250 SD SuperCab shortbed 4x4 and they were GREAT. He rolled the truck (RIP pops) with about 25k miles on the tires and they still looked great with ATLEAST 50% of the tread left...I believe they were in the relm of 305's. Good tire IMO.

Good Luck,
Casey

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
i run these cooper at-s they are a good all around tire, they have good snow and mud traction but also have great road manners with little tire noise. I can try to get a better pic tomarrow if you want, but these have worked well for me. ;Sweet

EDIT: after seeing the pic you cannot tell anything about the tire so... i guess this is just a post with my new truck in it. :Sly :rotflmao

Attachments

• DSC00152-1.jpg
    DSC00152-1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 12

Snowman269

AKA: DDDENIO
Reaction score
I am very satisfied with the 285/75-16 Discoverer ATR. Wearing good on both of my trucks. Good rain & snow traction too. As long as you keep them rotated, they stay quiet.