Safari TSR Blues

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darned. I ordered the the Ridge Grapplers in 295/75R16 just a few hours ago. Guess I'll follow up with my review once their mounted. I'm travelling 2500 miles to Phoenix and back in March. The easiest solution in the future will be to upgrade my 16X7 wheels to 17s or 18s. I decided against the AT3s in 315 series because of the 16X7 wheels, even though I had pretty good luck with the TSRs on the same wheels.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the copper AT3’s on several trucks. I love them. I would have chimed in earlier but I thought you were looking for a more aggressive mud tire. The AT3’s are smooth and quiet but provide pretty good traction for an all terrain. I run a 285/75r18 on my GMC it’s right about 35” tall. I know a guy who has a set of the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and he complains about the noise and rough ride. On the other hand, he really likes the way they look.
Ordered the Ridge Grapplers 295/75R16 prior to your reply. My wheels are stock 16X7 or I probably would have ordered the AT3s in 315/75R16, as they were $100 less than the same dimension Ridge Grapplers. I didn't really have any issues except lock to lock rub with the TSRs in 315, but decided to go with the 295s until I upgrade to a wider wheel. Anyway, tires will be here Friday. Will be travelling 2500 miles round trip to Phoenix and back in March, pulling tandem axle enclosed motorcycle trailer. Hopefully they ride better than the Coopers I have on now.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ride rough on such a thick and tall tire? What PSI are you running? I went from stock ATs for over 13 years to 285/75-16 MT's for the last year or two and I can't believe how soft they ride. It's mostly nice. But I have them aired down to where they wear evenly, which is pretty low-- like 35-40 psi front and 25 psi rear when empty.
Each brand will have a sweet spot for PSI and ride comfort. I can't help on 35's, that's out of my league.
+1 on pressure versus ride. My old F250 road really rough with 60 PSI in the tires but at 30 psi the ride was very acceptable, everything wore pretty good and as long as you aren't towing/hauling every day, adjusting air pressure is easy enough.

One last thing to keep in mind: supply chain for everything is messy right now, so don't be discouraged about seeing models and sizes being discontinued/unavailable. In my opinion, I think if you can hold off 6-9 months, I think you might see a lot more availability on things. That's last sentence is 100% opinion and and it should be treated as such.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I would not consider a D or 'light' E tire if a real E is available. Look at the actual # rating. They love to give us super-soft rubber nowadays (so we buy even more tires) so it makes sense for me to shoot for the heaviest/hardest compound in a light truck tire. Can always run less pressure for ride quality.

Also, did not like 315 on a 7" wheel. 8" is my minimum.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all of the replies and opinions. I can't remember a time since I've been old enough to drive(40 years) when trying to get exactly what you want for a reasonable price is such a challenge. And we had real inflation im the early 80's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online