Coolant ??

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
I know this is almost as bad as which oil but it's coolant change time and I need to know.......

Evans is up front more money and a little more work than flushing and refilling with Fleetcharge but is it worth it?

Also did the '95 come with a 203* stat and if not is it a good change to do whilest I'm in there?

Thanks

John

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive heard good things about Evans, in the future I would really like to go to it just for the fact that its pretty much a dump in and go type of product.

Evans Diesel coolant link .

I do not believe the 95's had the 203° thermostat from the factory. Something tells me I want to say they are 197°. Ive never heard a bad report on doing the T-stat swap but I have also heard some guys say it made no difference. So maybe its one of those mods that might not show alot of gains, but probably wont set you back performance wise.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Read this:
Here's a little background on the Ford Powerstroke thermostat...

Until 1996, all 7.3L Powerstrokes that were manufactured used an International water pump and an International short stem 203* thermostat. In 1996, Ford changed to a lower degree 195* thermstostat. They changed water pump designs at this time as well. The new pumps required the new long stem 195* thermostat in place of the short stem to properly seat the bypass disk. All 1996-2003 Ford PSDs now come equipped with a long stem 195* thermostat.

from Diesel Site Website

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good find Richard, I had it backwards but whats new huh LOL

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
Good find Richard, I had it backwards but whats new huh LOL
That was a no brainer for me because I have a Dieselsite 203* t-stat in my '97 and am well aware of the water pump change in '96.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Thanks for the info gang keep it coming especially on the Evans, I've read lots on the Evans but haven't talked to anyone who's switched over. Is it really worth the $$$ ?

John

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I've had good results with Rotella ELC;) despite the naysayers;p

Evans IS$$$$$$$$$$$ and to be honest the "boilout" concerns me.

Since Evans uses no water, part of the install requires you to get the eng hot enough to actually boil out the remaining water in the system................:rolleyes:

I may be the minority but I will take my chnces with the ELC:D

The 205 stat in is my upcomming service when I change out my hoses.........they are factory with 201k mi.