Coolant question

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quick question on coolant.
I dont think the coolant on my truck has ever been changed and the SCA level is very low( just checked, not good). I added some fleetguard SCA but am thinking I would like to flush the system and replace with some good quality coolant from tractor supply, the kind with SCAs already in it. I'm a little confused on how much to get since Ive read somewhere something about mixing it 50/50 with water. Does that mean I should get 14 gals of coolant and 14 gals of water?

thanks,
Derek

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thinking... If the rule of thumb is 1 pint of DCA for 4 gallons and the 7.3 takes 29 gallons, that means I would need about 7 pints of DCA. It seems to be it would be smarter to just buy new coolant with the DCA already in it. Does this make sense?

Thanks

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused, who told you it took 29 gallons of coolant? Mine held 8 Gallons, 4 Gallons Fleetcharge and 4 gallons of distilled water.

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL now im confused, i seem to remember reading that but it must be wrong. If it really does hold 8 that makes me feel so much better about only buying 2 pints of DCA

Thanks

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
29 gallons would fill my cooling system and my fuel tank. If you use the fleetcharge from TSC it already contains the SCAs.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Whew, got scared there for a minute, I just did a flush and fill and only used about 7 1/2 gallons of 50/50 fleet charge mix! LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Fleetcharge seems like decent stuff. It's purple, but otherwise is the same as the good old green stuff. The SCA is DCA-2, so you must use DCA-2 test strips with it, and not the DCA-4 ones. The additive must also be DCA-2, and I'm told Freightliner uses this stuff a lot, so these additives and test strips are avaiable at a lot of big RV dealers.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Napa has three way test strips that work with the DCA-2 and I'm pretty sure Napa Kool is DCA-2.

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys
I think Ill just top off the SCAs for now until I decide whether to go with the TSC stuff.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Zerex G05 gold. Rated for all diesels and available everywhere .

LASVEGAS7.3IDI

LASVEGAS7.3IDI
Reaction score
:thumbsup:the best coolant ive found is the cat elc its good for 300,000 and only needs to be topped off at half life. with this and a coolant filter all should be good. like i said been running it every since i got my idi and have had no problems.;Sweet;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read that the 3 way test strips do not reliably test DCA-2. Do a web search and draw your own conclusion. I don't trust any NAPA counter guy to know diddly squat about test strips. Any kind of ELC uses OAT (organic acid technology) which is NOT good for our oil cooler O-rings.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
:thumbsup:the best coolant ive found is the cat elc its good for 300,000 and only needs to be topped off at half life. with this and a coolant filter all should be good. like i said been running it every since i got my idi and have had no problems.;Sweet;Sweet

+1 on that im running cat elc great stuff
the only bad thing you might not be able to find it out in the middle no where
but thats why i carry a little extra

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online