coolant filter seems like a pita.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I read the coolant filter article in the tech section and it makes sense but man its just another damn filter that has to be changed. My truck has 175,000 miles on the original rad with no filter. I just find it hard to sell me on the modification if its worked like it has for so damn long. Just seems pointless when so many of these trucks literally have half a million miles with no coolant filter. The install isn't bad just the fact that the owner has to now worry about another filter replacement. If it ain't broke dont fix it kinda thing.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever seen inside the water jacket on our engine? Your 175,000 mile radiator has some gunk in it, I guarantee you. Casting sand too.

Some folks run them for SCA control, some to keep their very expensive 500,000 coolant nice and clean.

Basically, it's the only unfiltered fluid that touches everything in your engine and heads. You tell me if 60 upfront and 10 a year is worth your engine.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
So I read the coolant filter article in the tech section and it makes sense but man its just another damn filter that has to be changed. My truck has 175,000 miles on the original rad with no filter. I just find it hard to sell me on the modification if its worked like it has for so damn long. Just seems pointless when so many of these trucks literally have half a million miles with no coolant filter. The install isn't bad just the fact that the owner has to now worry about another filter replacement. If it ain't broke dont fix it kinda thing.

You know what? You're absolutely right. As a matter of fact, I hear engines come with brand new oil these days right out of the factory. There's absolutely no need to change it, since it "works from day one", right? If the oil is still there, it's still working. So don't fix what ain't broke! cookoo

Your rant seems kind of pointless. And not very strong argumentatively. I honestly don't even know why you posted it in the first place, since you didn't even bother to ask a question with it?

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't intend for it to be a rant. Just testing the waters on how many actually have done this. Fair enough on the responses though.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have one ready to put on.
you dont have to filter it, but then you dont have to have clean coolant, oily sludge cools your engine just fine.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I don't have one yet but it's on my list to do once I get it running
Why not do it? I don't like buying coolant and if all it takes is me to replace a filter then I'll do it
Look in side of your Raditator see all that chunky crud? Yeah thought so do you want that going through your engine? Yep didn't think so.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, not very hard to install either....

I installed mine during a complete cooling system overhaul. New, rad, thermostat, water pump, hoses, etc...

Drained the Block out totally. New antifreeze, and all that.

I ran the first filter for about 2500 miles, then I changed it and cut it open. There was more junk in there than you would have thought.

Also, you can run a filter that has the sca additive in it to restore that sca that falls out of suspension and gets cleaned out by the filter.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put one on the frame rail on my truck. Easier to change without risking spilling another fluid on the engine, and keeps the engine bay less cluttered. Keeps the coolant cleaner. Mine is a fully bypass, so it is part of the heater core circuit and sees low flow. So if I don't change it and it plugs up, there is no harm. I see no disadvantage except slightly increased complexity, and the upfront $50 + $10 a year.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

nah not really.you know whats a PITA? testing your coolant with test strips every so often.oh and that pack you bought.yeah,they expired.so you can toss those out and go buy another pack of test strips which will expire before you get to use them all again.have fun flushing the coolant and or adding liquid SCA as needed.don't pour in too much or it will turn to sludge! not only will the SCA's not work if you overdose the system but now the sludge is clogging up the passages and your engine is running too hot.
now you've got to do a full flush and start over.

how about avoiding all that hassle with coolant changes.pour in fleetcharge,add a penray need release filter and just change the filter every 18 months,which takes 5 mins.say goodbye to buying test strips and having most go bad.liquid SCA and risk making a mess of the system and even say goodbye to coolant flushes every 30k miles.

Q: What is meant by the term Fill-For-Life technology?

A: The Fill-for-Life alternative provides for easy, low cost monitoring of the coolant inhibitor and freeze protection levels. Fill-For-Life is an extended service maintenance program developed by FLEET CHARGE® and Penray researchers. It is very simple. Users simply install a Penray Need-Release filter on an engine coolant system (up to 30 gallons). Every 18 months the filter is replaced. This practice eliminates scheduled coolant changes.

still not sold? keep doing what your doing.i'll enjoy saving $ and having much easier maintenance.;)

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My water pump went out at 105,000 miles and when I put it back together I flushed out the block. I got about 3 cups of casting sand out. I looked at the impeller and saw erosion that caused by sand hitting it. I bought a coolant filter. I change it twice a year and now have 115,000 + miles on the pump with no problems.

Joe

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My water pump went out at 105,000 miles and when I put it back together I flushed out the block. I got about 3 cups of casting sand out. I looked at the impeller and saw erosion that caused by sand hitting it. I bought a coolant filter. I change it twice a year and now have 115,000 + miles on the pump with no problems.

Joe

yeah.i remember the mess in my first filter.
tip; run a much cheaper filter first to flush out and trap most of the sand casting for those who might want a need release filter cus a wix/napa blank is just a few bucks.

Attachments

• 2_1.jpg
    2_1.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 4_1.jpg
    4_1.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 19

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm big into oil filtration but have never gone into the coolant side of it. Looking at things from both sides:

Like enhanced oil filtration, at the end of the day, the difference in longevity between good STANDARD maintenance practice, i.e. regular service, is minimal and is often not cost-effective. I have not crunched numbers with coolant filtration, nor seen any long term test data on the benefits (please don't attach sale pitches as test data), but I have with enhanced oil filtration and the only way you can make that be cost-effective for the average Joe is to run much-extended OCI (Oil Change Intervals). In other words, enhanced oil filtration is more an oil life enhancement tool than engine life enhancement, versus good standard filtration and maintenance. If you drive the normal 15K a year, you make it pay by doubling or tripling the OCI. There is an engine life extension benefit but it's way out at the far end. Most trucks die of other causes or change owners before that benefit kicks in. If you crank on a LOT of miles per year, the life payoff comes sooner or if you intend to die of old age in the truck. According to statistics, there is a big arc in the longevity/wear curve when if comes to the size and amount of contaminant particles. Within the realm of "normal" oil, oil filtration and standard OCI, the curve is pretty flat and the extra cost of enhanced oil filtration (small particle bypass filtration) takes a very long time to recover. Not changing the subject here, just giving you an idea of my methodology in thinking about this.

Back to the topic at hand, I surmise the same rules apply to coolant filtration. If you can significantly extend coolant life, then you can easily make it pay, especially given how easy and relatively cheap it is to install and maintain one. Thing is, though, modern long life coolant can last 100+K miles anyway. Is there some enhanced benefit within that 100K mile period? Thinking logically, once you get the casting sand out of the cooling system, there are few (pretty much no) contamination inputs to add anything harmful. Akin to an automatic transmission, the most important time is right after the build, or rebuild. Once the system is clear, there is nothing left in a closed system to cause a problem, assuming you installed good water. Are silicates in the coolant a filtration issue? Does material slough off the water jacket? Do they do so in amounts sufficient to cause problems? Don't know the answers to those questions but thats where I would start researching.

The second place to research is, what are the benefits? What difference does it really make if a little contamination is flowing around the system? What fails as a result? Water pump? Maybe but there are many other nonrelated causes of water pump failure, many of them connected with neglect, past or present, and many not related to the coolant at all. Or out of balance fans. Or belts too tight. Or too loose. Has someone run tests to see what level of coolant contamination is required to cause early water pump failure, then done tests to see how long a water pump with last with perfectly clean coolant?

Probably the best part of the idea is that it's a pretty cheap addition. I'd make it a priority on a new truck or one that is fresh from a rebuild or a repair involving something that can allow contamination to enter the system (chunks of RTV, rust flakes, metal, gasket pieces, etc.). If the truck's had a couple of coolant flushes (good one, not half-assed) it would be less a priority.

As an aside, my practice after rebuilds is to just add water the first time, maybe with just a rust inhibitor. Run that for a short while then dump as much as possible, flush and then nstall the coolant. If there are leaks or issues with the rebuild early on, then you don't have to worry about wasting or trying to save expensive coolant as you fix them. You get the issuers sorted out then install the final load of coolant and additives.

All that said, anecdotally, I've had my '86 truck since it had 7K miles. In the early days, I ran 2-3 years on a load of coolant, flushed and changed it. Later, as coolant improved, I stretched it out to 5 years or so and starting adding the SCAs in the mid-'90s. When I tore the engine down in 2009, I took note of the fact that the water jackets were grey metal inside. No rust, no scunge. I didn't find any casting sand but the block was THOROUGHLY cleaned inside and out, so I doubt much, if any, is left after all that. I should probably hook up a filter to test that hypothesis. I have never worn out a water pump on this truck. I replaced the original 80 GPM unit with a 100 GPM pump for the enhanced cooling because I used to tow very heavy but when I hit a deer shortly after moving to Ohio, that pump was damaged and I couldn't replace it. It has a standard flow Ford reman on it now that's about 12 years old.

I have used various "water wetter" type things, currently Royal Purple's Purple Ice ( I have nothing useful to report about it good or bad) and between it and Fleet Charge in a 50/50 mix with distilled water. I haven't felt a strong need to add coolant filtration to the mix. Someday, maybe.

Last edited:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I run a coolant filter. I figure it's cheap insurance. I plan to switch to the need release SCA filter just to simplify maintenance. The cost of the filter is trivial and it can only help longevity.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
God do I hate the term "cheap insurance!" Not singling you out for abuse here, Dunk, but often, it's just cover terminology for the wasteful, feel good things we do to our trucks without logical justification or a demonstrated need. Given the relatively low cost of adding a coolant filter, it's probably a bit closer to being true than some other times it's used.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance