converting front wheel hubs

Keeway

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
hey i have a 85 f350 that was made into a dually and i wanna convert it from the regulaer pickup style wheels on the front to the dually style budd wheels. its a 4x4 and i would like to know what i gotta get to change it? thanks

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a dana 50 under the front of that truck I believe all you need to do is buy a set of dually hubs off of an F-350 truck with a dana 60 axle. The Dana 60 dually hubs and Dana 50 hubs are interchangeable. My dana 60 originally had dually hubs on it and I changed them to SRW hubs off a F-250 with the Dana 50 axle. My axle was a 88 or 89 vintage dana 60. I would hop on Car-part.com and check year interchange for your hubs then buy dually hubs for a similar year.

Good Luck.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the advice provided above is sound.
the dually spesific brake rotor may also be needed.iirc they are,and in researching i also recall something odd about model yr '87.either before pre '87.'87.or aft '87.better search yourself there.been too long since i have.

alternatively:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNFsdlFWquzf0OlmP1g_-suyc2QB4w&cad=rja

arrowcraft AA4 series front adapters.
(this is how i did mine)

Keeway

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
yes mine got the dana 50 ttb front axle. so it shouldnt be too hard of a swap then to change hubs and breaks? and cool what dothose spacers usually run for price for the pair? cuz that seems like a really easy way of doing it

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think they were around $300-350.been a while now.call 'em up and ask is easiest way.:)
it wasn't much more by the time i found the hubs,bought those,had 'em shipped and then bought new matching brake rotors.
turned out not much longer after i had to replace the rotors anyway though,so i could have saved a few bucks.......maybe.
i dunno if you can find older trucks locally in the bone yards where you are.they go to the crusher here after a certain age,because most of them have rusted out and so few left on the road,they're just not $ maker trucks to them around these parts.

im having a true DRW axle shipped shipped up from WI right now actually.

tip;
if you didn't swap the rear axle,and run the spacers instead on the SRW.do yourself a huge favor,and make dang sure they are hub centric spacers (like what arrowcraft also sells) mine are not,and it has SUCKED.
im sure it's been hurting economy too.vibration you just can't clear up.
found a good (RARE!! you have no idea! lol) axle code 69 which is the 2nd gen DRW axle with 3.55's.
it's going to be so nice to finally have found this,and get it under my truck.:)

Last edited:

Keeway

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
no i put in a true DRW axle in the back. and hmmm i'll check the boneyards around i know of a few duallys sittin but if i can find any avaiable to get for parts i will probably just buy them fron adaptors. cuz all my rotors and lines are new

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it can be kind of tough,because you need 4wd dually front hubs.this means you wont find them under a truck with a pickup bed because all those were 2wd.pre-99 all ford offered was 2wd dually pickup.
to find your 4wd/D60 DRW front hubs (that will also bolt on your D50 like stated) you'll need to score them from a f350 cab n chassis 4wd.so skip right over the trucks with pickup beds to save some time.rare you'll find a 4wd convert,but i suppose a quick glance under 'em wouldn't hurt to be safe you don't miss one.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know a gut that would trade all the parts for the dually for all the parts for the single wheel straight across and just split the freight both ways ...

Keeway

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
okay thanks yeah my truck was a cab and chassis when it was new. and okay i'll look at all that i find. and i think CO would be alittle out of price for frieght it may be cheaper to buy the adaptors

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh thats odd.well your truck was a dually from the factory then.all cab n chassis were.
someone must of swapped out the front hubs and actually converted the truck to SRW.
you didn't need to swap in a dually axle,because the frame is narrow so it can take dually rims as is.
being an f350 (i wasn't even paying attention there) you'll have the d60 front axle of course,but that doesn't change anything as far as hubs or arrowcraft adapters go.
someone must have converted it to srw for added traction or increased economy at some point.that or they didn't want to buy 6 tires anymore either lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online