Converting F350 Single Axle to a Dually

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
I was just kicking this idea around and wondering if this is even possible to do. Could I convert my 2000 F350 4x4 PSD 3:73 LS, Single Rear Axle to a Dually? Changing the truck box would be the easy part but what else besides the rear axle would be needed? Is the frame of the truck on a dually different than a single axle truck? What about springs and shocks? Check out my Truck Photos below and try to visualize how my truck would look as a dually.

Has anyone ever tried this before? Can it be done successfully? Anyone got any advice or suggestions? Would the cost be prohibitive? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Y2KPSD

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
We have 2 F350 brush trucks that were converted from a Single to a Dually & we have had noting but problems with the brakes on both trucks.

Make sure ya can upgrade the brakes so you will not only have stopping power, but so they do not wear out really quick.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Rampy,

Are you saying that the brakes on a single wheel truck and a dually are not created equal? It was always my thought that everything on a dually was more heavy duty, from brakes to springs to the rear axle itself! :confused:

Y2KPSD

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Y2KPSD said:
Rampy,

Are you saying that the brakes on a single wheel truck and a dually are not created equal? It was always my thought that everything on a dually was more heavy duty, from brakes to springs to the rear axle itself! :confused:

Y2KPSD

I can't say for sure, except that the braks wear out super quick, the rotors overheat & crack & it's an ongoing problem with the F350's we have.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
If you want a dually DONOT buy those conversion kits try find dually spindles and for the rear you may just have to change the hubs. As for brakes I doubt there is much difference look here and see if there is a difference www.raybestos.com/catalog/consumer/icat.html

I was comparing brake spec's seeing how much bigger the brakes are on a F-Superduty (450) over a 97 and older F-350 4x4.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i thought the axle widths was different? is it just from the spindles out?

what i was going to do was find a junk yard with a wreck and swap them my axles and a little boot for some axles from a dually... then you get the D60 front

then i priced wheels, tires, bed, paint, my time, and so on and decided i will just buy a dually in the next few years

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Ramprat said:
I can't say for sure, except that the braks wear out super quick, the rotors overheat & crack & it's an ongoing problem with the F350's we have.

how much water are yall toting in those trucks? i hauled a water tank on a trailer behind a F150 one time and at the bottom of a big hill all four brakes on that old truck was smoking like heck... with almost no pedal i had to pull over and check my shorts for pudding while the brakes was cooling

Last edited:

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I converted my 2000 F350 to a dually (well I'm actually still in the process of the conversion) I still have to paint the bed before I swap the beds out. But I found a dana 80 cheap, and just swapped the axle in.

The trucks are essentially the same. The 2wd front has a different rotor for the dually but I believe it to be the same spindle, and the 4x4 front comes with an adapter on the axle from the factory.

The brake calipers are identical between the srw and dually, with the only difference being the hub portion of the rotor (size difference between the sterling 10.5 vs the dana 80.)

Oh, and technically with a stock height truck you might have to shorten the driveshaft an inch or so. (Mine has a 5 inch lift, so the length was just right)

Hope that helps

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
silverado3500 said:
I converted my 2000 F350 to a dually (well I'm actually still in the process of the conversion) I still have to paint the bed before I swap the beds out. But I found a dana 80 cheap, and just swapped the axle in.

The trucks are essentially the same. The 2wd front has a different rotor for the dually but I believe it to be the same spindle, and the 4x4 front comes with an adapter on the axle from the factory.

The brake calipers are identical between the srw and dually, with the only difference being the hub portion of the rotor (size difference between the sterling 10.5 vs the dana 80.)

Oh, and technically with a stock height truck you might have to shorten the driveshaft an inch or so. (Mine has a 5 inch lift, so the length was just right)

Hope that helps

silverado3500

Thanks, that is a tremendous help. Do you have any pictures of your truck?

Y2KPSD

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my F-250 a couple years ago. Drop me a line if you want some details. I would recommend getting hold of a Dana 80 from a 350 or 450 to make it easier. Adding the fenders to the bed is cheaper then changing beds unless you know where to get good cheap dually beds.
Kevin

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken any pictures since I finished the bed. I need to one of these days when I have some free time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online

Members online