Confused transmission

James Case

Reaction score
My E4OD in my F350 has been doing some funny things every now and then lately. Sometimes my overdrive off light will start flashing And it will start bumping into gear. Sometimes coming out to the first into second it seems like my torque converter is not catching. When I’ll be Accelerating while this is going on in a higher gear it seems like it will jump into too high of a gear and then drop back down into the correct gear. I have had people tell me that sometimes having tail lights and running lights out can confuse the transmission into doing funny things. About six months ago I changed the sensor on the rear differential just for the hell of it after it randomly did it once. Does anybody have any suggestions on what might be causing this?

peligroso

Reaction score
My truck was jumping between gears and acting crazy. It turned out to be the plastic gear sorta thing where the speedo cable goes into the TC. it had worn the center down like a valley. It was almost undriveable.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some additional details on your truck would help. Year, miles, previous rebuilds if known? Brake lights do cause problems with the transmission, do you have a third brake light above the cab with the cargo light? If so, that's one often overlooked but it was only on later trucks. Lot's of things can cause these problems from little adjustments like the MLPS being out of range, the tachometer not being steady, throttle position sensor not adjusted, bad speed signal, brake lights, the turn signal switch (since the brake/hazard lights are routed through it), to leaking solenoid packs, to major stuff like torque converters, pumps and damage in the transmission itself. Pulling the codes is the first place to start after you've checked your brake lights/hazard lights and the fuse in the under-hood panel feeding the trans controller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online