1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confession: the MB 617 is a better motor than the IH 6.9/7.3IDI

Discussion in 'Mercedes Benz Diesels' started by Shadetreemechanic, Jul 7, 2019.

1. idiTravelAll

idiTravelAll Full Access Member

2 different animals, idi is gonna out pull an OM engine anyday.. fuel economy sure.. longevity the OM probably has a slight advantage. After my Travelall is finished in either going to put an OM or 4BT in a 2and gen camaro for my oldest boy, planning to start on that this December for his 14th bday.

saburai likes this.
  2. saburai

saburai Supporting Member Supporting Member

That'll be interesting! How did you come up with the idea for that combination and why?

3. idiTravelAll

Honestly I hope he changes his mind before December, originally he wanted a WWII era until he saw "Stranger Things" a tv series that a character has a 2nd gen z28. Engine side I'm looking for something reliable and decent fuel economy, itll probably boil down to if I've swapped my ATS trans over to an nv4500 by that time.. if so I'll definitely want to go 4bt. I've got a love for mechanical diesels period.

saburai likes this.
  4. Shadetreemechanic

Shadetreemechanic Full Access Member

You will have an easier time pulling power out of the 4bt. It seems like they have more aftermarket support. That said, there are folks who have made the 617 hum. Typ 4's son Brandon is one of them.

idiTravelAll likes this.
  5. idiTravelAll

Definitely, a few years back (late 2017) I was looking into a newer Benz diesel (6cyl) that can be converted to mechanical that's also a thought. Wanting something reliable, lasts forever, and gets good fuel mileage for him.