Completed: F-Superduty Front Leaf Spring Lift Swap with Pics

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
I just recently completed swapping in a set of F-Superduty/F-450 front leaf springs onto my F-350 4x4. I thought sharing my experience might come in handy for those who are curious about doing this, just as I was...

This is a lower-cost alternative to a traditional lift-kit. These leaf springs can be had for $50-$150 at most salvage yards.

Parts List:
*92' F-Superduty stock front leaf springs
*Energy Suspension Polyurethane spring/shackle bushing set
*Moog Polyurethane Track Bar bushings
*Bilstein 5125 shocks
*Drop Pitman Arm for 4-6" lift ( off my ZF donor truck)
*Drop bracket for factory track bar bracket (I made my own 3/8" steel plate cut & drilled to match pitman arm drop)

Everything went together fairly smoothly, the front leafs are a bit shorter than the stock ones so the shackle angle isn't perfect... However it is functional. My research told me the key to achieving the best ride quality from this setup was to purchase QUALITY shocks and spring bushings. Yes it still rides like a lifted truck, but definitely not the buckboard sore back that others claimed this would cause. I'll put it this way : I spent more than twice as much on the shocks as I did on the leafs.
As for the amount of lift achieved, its roughly going to put you 4" over a stock F-350. In my case, I already had a Skyjacker Add-A-Leaf so I was about 1" above stock already in front. I took my measurements from the ground to the center of the fender opening.
Before: 39 7/8"
After: 42 7/8"
Equates out to about 4" if you were to do this to a factory stock F-350 4x4.

Right now the truck is nose-high, I plan on adding a 2" block to the rear along with a set of ladder bars I picked up a while back to level the it out.
One thing that needs mentioned, even with the correct drop bracket for the track bar, my front axle is still not centered. This will cause the truck to "dog track" if not fixed. I plan on modifying my stock bar to the correct length to center the axle. There are adjustable bars out there but I can't justify spending $125 on one :)

If anyone has questions or wants other pictures feel free to ask.

Onto the good stuff! Pics

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is droop and articulation? I'm very interested in this however I've kinda got a thing for some flex...so just curious if it does? Can you Stuff a wheel and have the other drop out nicely or what?

It does look quite sharp btw.

4" mutli leaf packs custom built locally with new bushings 500 bucks pair.

I'm considering it...but not at Christmas!

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
I haven't check flex yet, if I had to guess I'd say it isn't going to give a whole lot since this is a pretty firm pack to begin with. The multi-leaf packs as going to give you the softer ride and travel. Another detail is due to the shorter spring length from eye to eye you'd need to trim the frame rail on the bottom of the channel behind the shackle for some extra clearance with articulation. I've only.put about 50 miles on this setup thus far. No real offroad testing yet.

Down the road I'm considering doing a RSK along with these springs....

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was reading on another forum were a guy had his factory obs leaf springs in the front and did a reverse shackle set up on it, said it made no difference in ride, i think the springs are the key to getting a better ride not the shackle setup, but i haven't experienced it myself so i cant judge on it

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
My plan if I did the RSK would be to get the shackle angle tuned right and get the extra lift along with it. However, I've got enough other plans for this truck as mentioned in my signature, that the RSK is a ways down on my list.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The articulation isn't terrible. But watch the flexing of road. I tore all my body mounts out when I twisted bad showingup a bunch of chevies. A couple were bad already but it beat them to death twisting over trees lol. A single cab is a little more forgiving. But overall I like mine, they keep the tires firmly planted on the ground when off road.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
big truck is big.
definitly get some rake going! raise the rear 6"

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone has questions or wants other pictures feel free to ask.
As usually I'm late to the party, but here it goes:

1) Can you please measure vertical distance from top center of fender arch down to center of axle locking hub? The reason I'm asking for this is that it rules out tire size and makes it easier to compare to my truck.

2) You said the leafs are somewhat shorter, how long are they front to back between their eye bolts?

3) If you remember what engine did the donor truck have - are these diesel springs, or big-block ones?

4) Your new Bilstein shocks, are they F-Superduty-sized in length? Like, did you go to the parts store and said you want Bilstein shocks for whatever F-Superduty donated your springs?

Also, some info you may find useful - '92 and newer F-Superduty trucks have the shock towers not only attached by 4 bolts per side (yours has 2), but the tower itself is reinforced by a piece of channel inserted inside it. Basically it becomes a double wall setup, and thus is much stronger than our factory towers. Not sure if the '91 and older (the 2-bolt design) shock towers are also double-wall like that, but if they are they should be a bolt-on upgrade over what you have now.

And the trick to keeping body mounts intact is to have the rear ones positioned in the middle of the cab - that's how mine are on the MDT, two right next to each other, I've had the frame twisted up to where one frame rail was about to touch the cab floor and the doors still opened fine, this on a crew cab btw.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
LCAM, sorry it took me so long to reply... Been busy last few weeks to get outside with a tape measure. So heres some answers to your questions;

1. Measured distance from hub center to bottom edge of the fender-well is 26.5"

2. Spring eye-to-eye is 51 3/8"...this pack almost appears to be just a re-arched F-350 4x4 pack? Would explain the shorter distance eye-to-eye...

3. Unknown donor truck drive train. These were already pulled when I stopped by the yard and I didn't ask. I may be able to stop by and ask when I go check on a few other things.

4. I used 4" lift Bilstein shocks, I found the part number through Sky Manufacturing's website. The shocks offered for their 3" RSK. The number is F4-BE5-6248-H5.

As for the shock towers, they have a 87-91 F-Superduty that's mostly complete still there. I'll have to take a look or see if I can find a set of newer towers to look into.

I have a set of 2.5" blocks on the way to level the truck out, I'll update this post once that's complete.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bookite03, thanks for the reply!

So assuming I get the same springs as you this will give me 3" lift, I'm at 23.5" right now. Mind you my springs are actually sagging about an inch, I run 460 springs under mine and they appear to be somewhat softer than the diesel ones. Which sorta makes me think you may be running big block springs as well, cause when I measured a diesel F-Superduty IIRC it came up to about 4" higher than my truck - not like it's a big deal, as long as it works for you that's great.

Now I wonder, is 3-4" lift enough to clear crossover steering and allow me to level out the tracbar by putting it on the spring clap-down plate... I hate drop pitman arms and tracbar brackets, besides the factory steering linkage geometry leaves quite a bit to be desired. Of course it's now too dark to go out there and start jacking truck by the bumper to see what 3" lift would do for clearance, another project for tomorrow I guess.

Regarding spring geometry, that 51-3/8" eye-to-eye is with suspension loaded right, truck on the ground? How much did your axle slide back cause of this, about half an inch?

Also thanks for the Bilstein P/N, we have Bilsteins on our Jeep thing and they make it feel nice and stable even at speeds it probably shouldn't be driven at in the interest of public safety LOL So do these lift shocks work well with the F-Superduty springs? The axle doesn't feel underdampened or anything? Reason for asking is the F-Superduty springs are noticeably stiffer than the F350 ones, so a shock matched to the F350 spring rate may have its work cut out for it with the stiffer ones... But then again you don't seem to hang an entire genset off your front bumper so you're probably just fine :D