Cold weather warm up times.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
And that was timed properly etc?
I won't say it's impossible, as I looked at a crewcab Idi when I was about 16.
Thing burned through a quarter tank just idling in under 30 or so minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't done in a scientific lab if that's what your asking haha. If it burnt that much I sure wouldn't be doing it! Ill try it again some other time and make a few more controls on the experiment

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that was timed properly etc?
I won't say it's impossible, as I looked at a crewcab Idi when I was about 16.
Thing burned through a quarter tank just idling in under 30 or so minutes.

Your saying that the truck you were messing with used a quarter tank in 30 minutes.... so 3 to 4 gallons in that time frame. assume 3 for the benefit of the doubt. thats 1 gallon every ten minutes.

FarmerFrank is saying 0.5 gallons every 20 minutes, so 0.25 gallons per 10 minutes.

Yet you say this sounds high.

I'm confused, are you misreading the half a gallon as a half tank????

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No.
I'm saying it's sounds like a lot. But I guess it's really not once thinking about it.

The truck I looked at had some problems. Definitely burned way more fuel than it should have.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh absolutely, a quarter tank in a half hour is outrageous. I would say half a gallon in 20 minutes sounds a little high but reasonable. 1.5 gph, thats not too bad when you consider alot of economy cars are at 0.4 gph at idle with no load, and we have double or triple the displacement of those little cars.

Put into perspective though, if you idle 20 minutes every morning on straight diesel, thats 2 bucks a day down the drain. Not a big deal though if you have WMO to burn.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going back to the original question, I usually don't worry too much about idling for warm up, but I do try to keep the load fairly light at least until the cold advance kicks off. Personally, I feel like operating at varying rpms and such under light load is a better way to warm up then just sitting at idle, but then a cold start for me is 40-50* weather - might be different below freezing.

Looking at fuel consumption, I looked up in the IH manual I have, and low idle fuel rate spec on the 7.3 pump appears to be around 13 mm^3/stroke - which I compute to be ~3L/hr or 3/4 GPH at 1000 rpm. Now, that spec is a bench spec at 650 engine rpm, so actual fuel rate in service may be higher, but it's enough for a ballpark. 1.5 GPH would be ~21 mm^3/stroke @ 1200 rpm, which seems a bit much to me, given that stock max fuel at WOT is something like 60 mm^3. (don't have ford specs on me)

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lately I've let my truck run for 20-45 minutes each morning, I like a warm truck I don't have a short commute to work and with -40 to -50 being the normal here lately it takes a bit to warm the old girl up. Fire it up in the morning, come inside have a cigarette, high idle kicks off then I go out and install the high tech high idle switch (piece of hockey stick cut down to perfect size for about 1100rpm), come back inside fire up the coffee pot, let the dogs out and make some breakfast. I'm not going to nickel and dime myself out of being comfortable, it really hasn't used enough fuel doing this all winter to take off with a cold motor. I have been using about 1/4 tank more every 4-5 days than I do in warmer months.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually let my truck run til the high idle kicks out, usually about 5 mins if its really cold out. I have no reference point to how this is affecting the engine.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
when its cold out and i am somewhere i cant plug the truck in i just fire it and wait about 1 or 2 min, then i try not to hammer on it till the advance kicks off

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
40-50 degrees. I havent seen that since last november. LOL They make a lot more racket when it single digits. Up at the cabin its usually 20 degrees colder, I have seen -15 last month. Not the -40 to -50 Saskredneck has but still cold. Last night I got in at 11pm pluged it in and at 5 am this morning she didn't even go on high idle. If you plug them in when hot they are warmer in the am that if its stone cold and you let the block heater warm it up

Going back to the original question, I usually don't worry too much about idling for warm up, but I do try to keep the load fairly light at least until the cold advance kicks off. Personally, I feel like operating at varying rpms and such under light load is a better way to warm up then just sitting at idle, but then a cold start for me is 40-50* weather - might be different below freezing.

Looking at fuel consumption, I looked up in the IH manual I have, and low idle fuel rate spec on the 7.3 pump appears to be around 13 mm^3/stroke - which I compute to be ~3L/hr or 3/4 GPH at 1000 rpm. Now, that spec is a bench spec at 650 engine rpm, so actual fuel rate in service may be higher, but it's enough for a ballpark. 1.5 GPH would be ~21 mm^3/stroke @ 1200 rpm, which seems a bit much to me, given that stock max fuel at WOT is something like 60 mm^3. (don't have ford specs on me)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajuka